The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

networking with thin clients

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by montyb1229
  • Latest reply from CompWiz
  • Topic Viewed 393 times

montyb1229

when setting up a network with thin clients, are their still distinct ip adresses for each work station? will licensed software work on multiple work stations at the same tiime?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

I believe you will have to be licensed for multiple workstations. There are some IT members here that can probably help you. Might not be online now so check back often.

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz

montyb1229, hi.

The answer to your first question is yes. Each workstation should have it's unique ip-address whether you assign automatically (DHCP) or manually (Static). Otherwise, there will be conflicts.

And to your second question, what software are we talking about?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

@Compwiz, was hoping you would be onsite.

Posted 1 year ago

montyb1229

really old point of sale software that is no longer supported.

Posted 1 year ago

montyb1229

my parents are getting back into the restaurant biz after selling their last one 8 years ago. they still have the server from their old pos on a pretty good dell. i would like to network it with two other stations. they are definately not computer savvy, so I would like to keep them on the software that they are used to running. any suggestions if the thin client is a bad idea?

Posted 1 year ago

montyb1229

it's called friend pos and i am pretty sure it is no longer around.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

http://firstmerchantservices.c.....4AodpWUARg Maybe switch to something like this. Never tried it but, might be worth looking into.

Posted 1 year ago

montyb1229

free point of sales usually equate to a brutal credit card transaction charge. that aside, my main concern is that my folks are not going to master a different system easily. they don't mind spending a few bucks on a system, but they really prefer the familiarity of their old one. since they still own the server, i am willing to try the thin clent approach, but i suspect it will not allow multiple ip addresses to operate on it at the same time.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

Don't know. If it is old software may not be supported by new systems. Like I said earlier on you need an IT member. There are some here so check back.

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz

Hi there warlock! :)

montyb1229, not much info on the internet regarding that software and not sure if you can use the same license on multiple PC's(I'd say yes but don't want to get in trouble here) LOL.

Also, you can use a router as a switch to 'network' the server with the 2 workstations. How do you plan to set everything up?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.