The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

networking winndows7 with xp

(14 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by arnie76
  • Latest reply from JokerBat
  • Topic Viewed 1005 times

arnie76

I have networked my pc that has vista upgraded to windows 7 on it to another computer with xp on it . I can see both computers ok , and can see the shared folder ok on both . on the windows 7 pc I can open the shared folder from the xp pc , but when I try to open the shared folder on the xp pc so I can see whats on the windows 7 pc . I get a window opening saying i can't access the folder ,I might have to contact the administrator . help me straighten this out please . Also please tell me how I can share the whole c/ drive and not just one folder

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

arnie76,
---
Welcome to HTG.
---
Checkout this HTG HowTo and post back if you have questions.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-7-and-xp/
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

arnie76

I appreciate the reply to my question , but you didn't solve my problem . my problem is when I try to view my shared folders on my xp computer , I get a box come up saying access denied . might not have administators permission contact administrator. I don't have the problem if i open files from my windows 7 computer looking at files on my xp computer . I can do that . I can't open files being on my xp computer and trying to open a shared file that I set to share on windows 7. help me get access to open the shared files that i set on windows 7 from my xp conmputer please

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Have you configured a folder(s) on the XP machine for simple share ??

Posted 4 years ago

arnie76

I have a couple of folders on my xp computer to share with windows 7 computer and I can open all of them on the windows 7 pc but I can not open the folders set up to share on windows 7 pc from the xp pc i can see the folders but cant open them it says access denied may not have permission

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Right Click, open security tab and configure folders for shares also.
---
Reboot Both machines
---
What happens now ??

Posted 4 years ago

arnie76

I need to know how to get past the access denied so i can open the files i want to

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

arnie76,
---
The books haves chapters upon chapters concerning networking which are too long to post.
Run BOTH machines in Build-in Administrator Mode.
Here is Howto for Win7.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/
Also in Group Policy, set full permissions to Everyone on folders that need sharing.
Reboot after making changes.
----
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

JoeyB

Arnie, you need to set the permissions on the Win7 folders you want to share to give access to the user account you are using on the XP machine. For e.g. you might have the permissions set to Guests have Read/Write access on the XP folder but this might not be the case on the Win7 shared folder. It might be only Local/Administrators or Local/Accounts can Read/Write, in that case only a person using the same logon creditials would be able to access this folder. If you can, right-click the folder in Win7 and click the security tab, look in the list and see who has access. If you can't even get to the security tab using the Win7 computer then you can't share that folder as it's either a system folder and probably owned by the system account or trusted installer account. I'm assuming you're logged in as an admin.

Posted 4 years ago

arnie76

ok let me try to explain this in another way. My windows 7 pc can see all files and folders in xp pc and can open them , but when I go to the xp pc and try to see whats on the windows 7 pc. I can see the folders to open but they are listed under internet ,and cant open them , says need permission . I can also see on the same screen under network I see all the files I am sharing from my xp pc with my windows 7 pc , why is the folders that I want to share from the windows 7 pc showing up under internet on the xp pc and not allowing me to open them says cannot access need permission

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

arnie76,
---
Right click on FOLDER in W7 that you want access to on the XP system.
---
Click Properties on the menu.
---
Select Sharing Tab

Select SHARE Button and you will see WITH SPECIFIC PEOPLE.
---
The cursor will be in an empty box.
---
Click the drop down arrow next to the emty box and select EVERYONE, then click ADD and SHARE Buttons.
---
There will be lower button named Advanced Sharing.
---
Click on it.
---
Check Mark the upper left checkbox.
---
There will be a permissions button.
---
Click on it.
---
Check Mark FULL
---
Click Apply button
---
Close All and Reboot
---
What happens now ???
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

clcamp0331
clcamp0331

raphoenix

right on.

Chris

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

clcamp0331 (Chris),
---
Thanks Much !!
---
Sometimes I do get a bit short on temperament but I'm glad if this little Howto just helped one person. :) :)
---
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

JokerBat

Hi,
Thank you for the fix when mapping a Win7 LapTop from a WinXP Pro SP3 PC.
However how can I map and access the C:\ drive on the Win7 LapTop from the Win XP PC?
The previous fix was for folders..but its silly to only map folders when I want/need to access the whole c:\ drive.
I tried using the fix for folders but it does not work with drives.
Thanks

Reports: 1 · Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.