How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Networking Windows 7 between XP and Vista

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by buskroth
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1545 times

buskroth

Hi,
I've been searching for a solutions for hours to my networking problem to no avail.

I have the following machines set up on a wireless home network:
Desktop running XP
Desktop running Vista
Netbook running Windows 7 Starter Edition

I have all computers on the same workgroup and I have pinged all computers however, my Netbook just isn't playing ball.

The situation as it stands is that my XP and Vista machines can share all the drives I have set up to share ok between each other with no problem however, My XP machine doesn't even "see" my Netbook in My Network Places and my Vista machine sees my Netbook but when I click on a drive to open it I get the error message "Windows cannot access \\KEVIN-NETBOOK\d..." with an error code of 0x80070005.

My Netbook cannot even "see" any other computer on the network.

I have pinged all computers successfully, I have tried removing all firewalls, and still not a sausage!

Please can anyone help?

Kind regards,
Buskroth

Posted 4 years ago

Pegasus

I see that this post has had 40 viewings, meaning, I suspect, that others have the same problem/question. I have and I posted the question again today. I have a desktop with Vista and a laptop with Windows 7. The network works Ok when sharing the internet but neither can see the other files and folders.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Pegasus hi. Just because a lot of members have viewed your Topic, doesn't mean they know the answer.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

@LH,
---
The Answer is Well Known.
---
The problem is figuring out how to post it in a simple, concise manner as the subject takes up complete chapters in reference books.
---
Without being able to state,"look in chapter 17, page 585, bla, bla...;" there is no common reference for Members to go by, ask for help and discuss if they do not understand.
---
Scott posed an interesting solution using "Sticky Posts" but not sure if it will work as folks are hesitant to purchase a book(s) even if very, very inexpensive .
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.