The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Networking between Win 7 and XP not working properly

(2 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by DJE
  • Latest reply from DJE
  • Topic Viewed 560 times

DJE

From my recently acquired Win7 computer (named "Darel-pc") I can see and access everything on the XP computer. The XP machine (named "SHARON-PC") can see the Win 7 machine ("Users on Darel-pc") but my User profile ("Darel") is absent. It sees the Users "default" and "public" and when I place a file in the User "public" it is visible to XP. In My Network Places on the XP it also shows "Darel on Darel-pc" but when I click that I get the "Access is denied" error. I have verified that User Darel on Darel-pc is Shared. I have even shared the entire C drive on Darel-pc. In User>Darel>Properties>Share I tried to Add SHARON-PC to "Choose people to share with" but it could not find the computer. I have verified that both computers are looking for home network "workgroup". I tried turning off Windows Firewall to no avail.

Networking and File Sharing worked both ways with my former Vista computer. It is clear that the XP is accessing the network (network printer is working fine) but XP is not gaining access to User Darel. Can anyone help??

Posted 4 years ago

DJE

Voila! Finally figured it out. On my Win7 machine I right clicked on User "Darel" > Share With > Specific People. Under "Choose people to share with" is a dropdown menu which includes "Everyone" I chose that and clicked Add. Done! I have been at this place a number of times but tried to type in Sharon-pc and it wouldnt recognize it. I guess the dropdown was always there and I didn't recognize it as such. Or it was added after running a number of networking troubleshooters.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!