How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

network problems

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by PAPPYR
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1046 times

PAPPYR
PAPPYR

We are having problems with our wireless network since we added a new computer to the net. apparently one will knock another off line, until it is shut down, and one computer shows it is on line when it isn't. Another new computer was hooked to ATAT,so it shouldn't have any effect on the wireless network but when it is shut down we don't seem to have problems. Everything was working fine until we lost power for a week during Hurricane Ike.
PAPPYR

Posted 5 years ago

PAPPYR
PAPPYR

After calling Comcast, we were informed that reconnecting the cable at the pole did not reset the cable modem, and Comcast reset our modem... We'll try it and see if that solved our problem PAPPYR

Posted 5 years ago

PAPPYR
PAPPYR

THIS PROBLEM IS STILL WITH US.. The computer is a Gateway with Vista , it will get on line when rebooted, and run fine and then go off-line all on it's own...no rhyme or reason. It shows that it is still on line,but, when you try to access the network sharing files or the internet nothing happens.

Posted 5 years ago

zifnab06

Could you open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all on both computers? Connect the first one to the network, then do it with that computer. After the second computer connects, and the first one disconnects, could you do it again? If you could copy both of those outputs and put them here that would be helpful.

What might be happening: Your router might not be set up as a DHCP correctly. I'm not sure why it would do that, but maybe a static IP system would work, as long as you didn't have too many computers on the netowrk.

Posted 5 years ago

PAPPYR
PAPPYR

zifnab06 We have 3 computers on this network, and the Gateway is less than 4' from the Linksys wireless router, and the only one with problems. We do have a weak signal from a "2 wire_Comeaux" but it only has 2 bars, and will not let me connect with my Dell, or the Gateway

Posted 5 years ago

PAPPYR
PAPPYR

I guess I should have said,THIS PROBLEM IS STILL WITH US.. The computer that is having troubles now, since Comcast reset the modem,is the Gateway with Vista , it will get on line when rebooted, and run fine and then go off-line all on it's own...no rhyme or reason. It shows that it is still on line,but, when you try to access the network sharing files or the internet nothing happens. The others seem to work fine on line.
Sorry for the poor discription. PAPPYR

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Did you ever try to hard wire the Gateway to the router. If it's only 4 feet away, you could get an ethernet cable that's long enough (cheapest at Walmart).

Posted 5 years ago

PAPPYR
PAPPYR

whs You know we didn't think of it til this morning. and we hardwired it and the Gateway computer hasn't jumped off all day, but my Dell took one dive, shortly after we wired the Gateway PC. LOL I'm still on after I rebooted though... Thanks for your and zifnab06's reply, I hope this fixes everything, even if it's not explained. PAPPYR

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

There are things between heaven and earth that we'll never understand - especially when it comes to computers. I have a few of those in my systems too. But as long as I have an alternate solution, I let it go.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.