The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Network List Service

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by JanJacobs
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 5253 times

JanJacobs

Network List Service is SET to START and AUTOMATIC.
Upon re-boot my Network List Service starts, but then times out. If I try to start manually, it starts, but times out with an error message.
"The network list service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."
My NETWORK ICON has a red cross and is in-active (connection status : unknown)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

JanJacobs, hello. Are you having any network trouble? Check the services that are dependent on the Network List Service to see that they are all running. There is a list of them here at blackviper.

Posted 5 years ago

JanJacobs

Hi There. My network is OK. I use 3G Wireless mostly. Problem is that my Network ICON is not functioning. The Network List Service does not start. And even if I start manually, it starts, then stops again.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Do you have an exit code for the Network List service when it times out?

Also, who is your 3G wireless provider? I'm wondering if maybe the software to run the cellular modem is interfering with Window's networking.

Posted 5 years ago

JanJacobs

My 3G supplier is Vodacom (Vodaphone in South Africa.) I do not see this as the problem, as I've used the 3G wireless for about 4 years, and the problem did not exist when I purchased my new LAPTOP in Oct2008, with Vista Business pre-installed. The problem only started early in 2009, exactly why I do not know. I have a sneaky suspicion that I deleted/disabled some task.

ERROR CODE - NONE

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Let's get a reading of the state of the service and any exit code that might be logged. Open a Command Prompt window and run:

sc queryex netprofm
sc qc netprofm

To copy the results, right-click in the windows, choose Select All from the menu, press Enter, then paste the output in a new post.

Posted 5 years ago

JanJacobs

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sc queryex netprofm

SERVICE_NAME: netprofm
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
STATE : 1 STOPPED
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0
PID : 0
FLAGS :

C:\Windows\system32>sc qc netprofm
[SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: netprofm
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalService
LOAD_ORDER_GROUP :
TAG : 0
DISPLAY_NAME : Network List Service
DEPENDENCIES : RpcSs
: nlasvc
SERVICE_START_NAME : NT AUTHORITY\LocalService

C:\Windows\system32>

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

That output looks perfectly normal, except that the service isn't running. However, though it is stopped, there are no exit codes so it would seem that it was not stopped due to an error.

I still like my theory that some software from Vodacom has taken over control of the network status. I visited the Vodacom website, and I see that they have software for 3G broadband users called VMC. There was also mention of a Vodacom dashboard. Maybe you don't need to use Window's network icon if the Vodacom software is providing network status instead.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.