How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Network Adapter Compatibility

(6 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by chillychase
  • Latest reply from ProstheticHead
  • Topic Viewed 585 times

chillychase

I'm about to pull my hair out.

Over the past month I've tried three different network adapters to connect the computer I built in November to the internet.

I've tried a Belkin USB adapter, I returned.

I've tried a Linksys PCI card -- I spoke with them this morning I the phone. They told me no drivers were released for Win7 64. I returned it, and purchased the USB router they recommended. WUSB54GC.

NOW. When I try to install the driver with the install disc, it reports an error. I downloaded a driver for it separately, tried to manually update it, and my computer shitted its pants and I had to restore it before it would work again.

I don't know what to do. Do any of you know the drivers that will work for the model number adapter I mentioned above? Or can you recommend network adapters that will work with WIn7 64. I don't understand how I can build a computer, but I can't connect it to the internet! Woe is me.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated:)

Chase

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

What kind of network are you trying to access?

Posted 4 years ago

chillychase

Home network.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Which version is your adapter? According to Linksys, you need v3 for your adapter.

Posted 4 years ago

chillychase

Perhaps its not v3, there's no v3 after the model number. Its only WUSB54GC.

So I'll have to return this one and find a new one -- I don't think the local Best Buy carries v3. Maybe newegg is the answer

Thanks for the help

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Chillychase, hello. Have you tried the driver for Vista 64? When the win 7 beta was was released, Microsoft recommended using vista drivers.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.