The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

netbooks

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by dingo
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 610 times

dingo

Can anyone share their opinions/experience on these small computers? I do mostly email/surfing and weekly reports on my laptop so it's sounds like these will be ideal for me. Plus I'm on the road every week.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I have played around with them at the dealer. They seem to be nice. But don't get an Eee. Get one with the new Intel Atom chipset (uses only 20% of the power the others need and needs no active cooling - big power saving) and 1GB of RAM. They can run at least XP. Then you don't have to deal with Linux which may be a pain (in terms of lack of function and ease of use). If you have a few months time, I would wait a little, because they are just coming out and seem to multiply like rabbits. In 3 months you probably have a wider choice.
PS: If you lug it around a lot, a SSD (solid state disk) is also something to look for.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

dingo,

WHS is On Point.

These machines are the wave of the future. Think they would serve your purposes as descibed fine. SSD is already here and will be even more so in the Fall. Asus will change the Eee to cutting edge in a couple of months and I think they are now rated as No. 1 or 2 but keep reading the reviews.

EDIT: You can already put XP on a memory stick and boot from it so WHS is correct concerning Linux for right this moment.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I just found this survey in a German Computer mag. I translated it with a translation program - I think it's readable:
"Survey Results Show: Eee PC & Co.: What do you think of the mini-notebook? This survey will take place on 30.08.2008 at 14:14 closed Genial, privately, I have no other PC more 31 3.93% Not bad, nice complement to the main PC 512 64.97% Only what for the elderly, women and children 29 3.68% Only wait times, as the developed 116 14.72% Typical hype: Who needs this 95 12.06% Other (please describe the forum)"

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!