The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Netbook query

(15 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by helenp
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 839 times

helenp

Hi,- I've been wanting to buy a netbook but I don't really have my finger on the pulse with this kind of stuff and was wondering if now is a particularly good or bad time to do it, in terms of quality of machine and if the price might come crashing down in a month or two!

If now is an alright time to buy one, if anyone has any recommendations about what model to get I'd really appreciate the help as well - never really understood the jargon! - but all the obvious stuff like how fast it runs, how long the battery lasts for, and whether it will be totally outdated or not in 6 months, etc . . .

Any advice hugely appreciated, thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

We've seen prices come down and the quality of components go up in the last year. I really don't follow the reviews much but I would imagine the more recent reviews have more relevance. :)

http://news.google.com/news?q=.....#38;tab=wn

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Here are the test results of a reputable German computer mag from November 08. There is never a best time to buy and in a year from now prices will be half. I would wait until they put Windows7 on it, probably 3Q this year. The current accomodation with XP and Linux is a hoax. And I would also only buy one that has a large (at least 32 or 64GB) SSD (solid state disk). The idea of a netbook is to lug it around, and with an SSD, no heads can crash and no parts can come loose like with a traditional spinning disk. Anything you see now will be outdated by the end of the year, but that's life.

PS: Those are all the very high German prices. Lot cheaper in the US.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

Some more reviews,
http://computershopper.com/lap.....5-netbooks

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire

I am actually surprised Eee PC didn't make the list.

@whs
Do you know if there are any plans for netbook versions of Windows 7 (similar to the netbook version of Ubuntu, with the tabbed interface to access applications easier, especially with the touchscreen models/modifications)?

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Well, there were rumors that this would happen. Since W7 is supposed to run well in 1GB of RAM and since the disk requirements are also smaller than those of Vista (think of the price of SSD - a must on a netbook), W7 together with the upcoming H/W improvements would be a good match. I think in a year from now most of us will have a netbook with W7 - especially those who travel a lot.
About Ubuntu I don't know. I do not follow Linux. With the little exposure I had, I am unimpressed.

Posted 5 years ago

helenp

wow, thank you all very much! all v helpful ...

whs, when do you think Windows 7 is due to come out on netbooks? I was always happy with Windows XP, so if it's just an upgrade like Vista, or XP can be upgraded to Windows 7, then I'm not too bothered about getting it, depending on the changes it's actually meant to make.

Does anyone know if it's easy to update or replace parts of netbooks to try and keep them going/relevant for longer? i.e. replacing the battery, uprgrading memory capacity, etc.?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

In another thread, Scott provided this link in which MS confirms a netbook edition of Win7.
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptop.....490,00.htm

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Helen, as you can see from the link that ScottW provided, There are plans for W7 on netbooks - my guess would be 4Q 09 or early 2010. But if this is only being made available to OEMs (as the link stipulates as one possibility), then you would not be able to upgrade an existing netbook with W7. As far as the hardware goes, more RAM is always an option as long as the motherboard supports it. And replacement batteries (bigger, better, cheaper) are usually available. You may even be able to replace the disk in case you start with a spinning disk, replace it with a SSD (once they have come down in price). But as I said, if you are not in a hurry, I would wait a little and see what the developments are. Netbooks are new to the market and the dust has no yet settled. And don't buy a toy like the Eee - unless it is the 1000H model.

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire

@whs
What brand netbook would you consider (available in the US)? -- (Though this may change by the time Win7 is on netbooks.)
To your knowledge, do any come with a touch screen natively?

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Difficult question because I really like the Samsung which is not yet available in the US. But as I said, right now I would not buy any. I am waiting for a reasonable size SSDs and for Windows7 (not XP or Linux - yucky). I have never seen any with touchscreens. I would think, that would add a bigger chunk to the cost.

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire

@whs
I figured so much for the native touchscreen (though I have seen some reasonably priced DIY touch screen mods on some of the Eee PC models). I am surprised that Samsung hasn't brought their netbooks to the US yet. Samsung is the highest rated in consumer reports for HDTVs. They also make the best quality cell phones and touch screen cell phones (though smart phones still go to Blackberry) according to most Wireless companies.

As you said though, I am definitely waiting until SSDs are in the netbooks and if Win7 is as good as it seems to be, I will wait on that too. Hopefully by that time Samsung will have brought their model to the US.

I just wonder what the US prices will be considering one can get a decent laptop for around $500 USD and not skimp on components. (Though a nice laptop will run $700 or higher depending on specifications.)

Posted 5 years ago

whs

I think the netbooks only have a market up to $400, maybe $450. More than that and many people will opt for a laptop. I personally would only like a touchscreen if you can lay the screen flat like on some of those 13"" Tablets. But those usually fetch around $1000.

Posted 5 years ago

beyondhuman

I am seriously considering getting an Acer Aspire One its one $400 with the six cell battery and has better stats than most of them. I have a friend with one and that thing is sexy.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Just make sure you get a 16 or 32GB SSD - and check the performance data for the SSD (must be better than the spinning kind).

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.