The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - Needa HD Cable(s)

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by dolanz999
  • Latest reply from dolanz999
  • Topic Viewed 905 times

dolanz999

I just purchased my first PC build components (geek nubie)and my HD was OEM and it came with zip arrg. I purchased a Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM from new egg. I am pretty sure I need a "sureConnect" SATA cable but the one set of instructions state to connect the legacy power cable but this model doesn't have the pins for that power connection.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

dolanz999,

Your Motherboard should have SATA Ports on it and your Power Supply should have SATA Power cables on it.
If this is so, you will need only a Sure Connect Hard Drive Cable.
If the Power Supply Does Not have SATA Power Connector Cables, you would ALSO need the below converter.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....+converter
There is something wrong here if your Power Supply is Old Style and your Motherboard is New Style.
Are you sure the Motherboard has SATA Ports on it ??
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

dolanz999

EVGA nForce 750i 123-YW-E175 I believe it has 4 sata right angle ports AO A1 BO and B1.

Posted 5 years ago

dolanz999

PS Antec EA650 It has SATA Power but the question is does the Sure Connect supply both Power and data via the SATA port on the MB.

Posted 5 years ago

dolanz999

I think I found my answer on the WD web site. 1st Gen and 2nd Gen Sure Connect. I need a 2nd Gen Sure Connect Cable and then I can plug in the SATA power connecter from my power supply! Thanks

Posted 5 years ago

dolanz999

Got the cable and all is well

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!