The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Need to remove linux but it should not harm windows xp in dual boot desktop

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by m2k1981
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 945 times

m2k1981

I have desktop computer which has Windows XP and Kubuntu 12.04 os loaded on it and it run all smoothly but now i wan to remove Kubuntu from pc but I don't have installation disk for windows. and installed copy should not be harmed in any way so can someone help me out please.

Posted 1 year ago

djhull3917

Hang on, please add more detail to your question !

Can you boot up XP? If so you can simply boot up XP then run MSCONFIG

(About MSconfig)

MSConfig Info

Anyways back to buissness you boot up XP <<run>> type "msconfig", navigate to the <<boot>> tab and delete the entry named "Kubuntu",

i believe this should uninstall kubuntu , but feel free to correct me if im wrong...

Good Luck !

Posted 1 year ago

jhwalker
jhwalker

Yeah, boot XP, delete the partition that Kubuntu is installed on (or delete the VHD if you have installed it on a VHD). Then, click Start > Run and type in msconfig.exe and press Enter. Select the boot tab of the application that enters, select Kubuntu in the list of OSes and click Delete. Click Apply and OK and exit the application. All done.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Quote 'i believe this should uninstall kubuntu , but feel free to correct me if im wrong...' Does not uninstall kubuntu.

Only if the bootloader is the windows bootloader, if it is Grub then this is very different and you need to use this to regain the windows bootloader; http://www.softpedia.com/get/S.....yBCD.shtml

Now you can just format the kubuntu partition.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

jhwalker
jhwalker

Or to reinstall the Windows Bootloader boot from the installation disc or system repair disc, launch a command prompt and type the following commands:

BOOTREC /fixmbr
BOOTREC /fixboot
BOOTREC /rebuildbcd

It is a good idea to backup your bcd before doing so, type bcdedit /? to find out how.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

From Kubuntu open a terminal and run "sudo apt-get install lilo" (without quotations) When you get the warning select OK. Next run the command from terminal "sudo lilo -M /dev/sdX mbr" where X is your windows hard disk. If you have only one hard disk X=a. Reboot and you will boot right to windows. You can then go to computer management and do as you wish with the linux partition(s).

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

If you boot to windows from GRUB and then proceed to delete the linux partition(s) you will not boot to windows when you reboot because GRUB bootloader is on MBR, you will get a GRUB error. You can use my method or use a Windows install CD/DVD to restore the windows boot loader as someone else mentioned above.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.