The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Need to Install windows XP on pre-installed windows 7 Computer

(13 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by 1bata
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 1364 times

1bata

We bought a laptop that has windows 7 pre-installed. In order to use it at work, they say it has to have XP installed. Our IT guy says that he can install XP, but the drivers may not work correctly.

Is there a way for this to happen or not?

Posted 4 years ago

ian2

You could follow the HowtoGeeks Guide .

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

there is another option, if your IT guy says ok, otherwise follow ian2's suggestion. You can install "Microsoft Windows Virtual PC Windows XP Mode For Windows 7" here is a link.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue

whats the make and model? drivers for XP might not be available.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

AND which version of Windows 7 do you have? Notice that the Starter and Home editions do not have the capability to use XP Mode.

Posted 4 years ago

1bata

I have HP Presario DV6-2155.

It has windows 7 home edition installed.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

1bata,
---
Which EXACT Machine Model do you have ??
---
http://search.hp.com/query.htm.....rset=utf-8
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

1bata

I have the DX model

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

1bata, here is a workaround to install Windows XP Mode on your Windows 7 Home Edition It's a little involved but it should work. Click here

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

Can OP provide exact processor & installed BIOS information?

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue

no chipset XP drivers for this product.
in fact XP drivers are very few and far between for this model, suggest you stick with win7

OR just use virtual box to create XP virtual machine.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

The processor must support 'virtual technology' to do a Virtual Machine. HP's website cannot provide exact info due to many differences in builds for "CTO": Custom-built to order (for retail outlets, etc.) Can OP provide "p/n" (part number) from tag on the bottom of the Laptop?

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

1bata, I had ET's working for me that had almost the same problem. They ended up buying another small hdd and installed XP on it for company policy and had their good stuff on the hdd with Vista. Never had a problem one. You could check on Ebay for a reasonable priced hdd. Just another option if you have to run XP. Remember one thing. With dual booting if your hdd goes you lose both O/S's plus all your personal data since you have Win7 already loaded. You wouold have no problems with driver conflict and you can transfer your daily data to a flash drive and then move it to your Win7 hdd.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.