The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Need to do a syatem restore back at least 2 months HELP

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mand1980
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 505 times

mand1980

My computer has been acting crazy for awhile now have tried system restore but it will only allow me to go back a few days I need much further than that tried safe mode as well but still won't work.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

How far back you can go depends on how much space you allotted for System Restore in Control Panel. As new restore points are added and you reach the space limit allotted the oldest restore points are removed to make room for the new ones.

You should always have a current image of your OS. You can make an image that you can restore in a few minutes with Macrium Reflect or Clonezilla. Though it is now too late for this in your case, I would advise doing so from now on.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Keeping with presence's answer, you will need to reinstall Windows Vista. You could try to do so from your recovery partition, if you have one. By pressing F8 during boot, as if you were going to boot into Safe Mode, select instead "Repair my computer". From there you should be able to run the recovery software. (Depending on the manufacturer, the recovery might be used in a different way.)

Or else, you can reinstall Windows Vista from a bootable USB. Look at the sticker with the product key that should be attached to your computer. It should indicate which version of Windows Vista you are running (Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, 32-bit or 64-bit).

You can download the official Windows Vista setup files from here (instructions included, you will need your product key during installation):
http://www.askvg.com/direct-do.....28AskVG%29

Only Windows Vista Ultimate is available, and only in English, French and German (I would always recommend choosing English anyways, even if you speak German). Link with instructions on how to create the bootable USB is in the same webpage. Once the Windows Vista install USB is created, if you need to install a non-Ultimate version, delete the two lines near the bottom of the \Sources\Inf\SETUP.CFG file in the USB. They look like this:

[DefaultImageSelection]
Value=VFWBB-HAJJV-G996G-QWGJY-2V7X9

More info about this: http://jimcofer.com/personal/?p=6119

If you have any doubts just ask.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Going back a couple of months is hopeless unless you have a huge shadowstorage area. In Vista, restore points are written all the time and the old ones are being replaced by new ones if the space in the shadowstorage is full.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ruja has the Correct answer but OP will have find and install Device Drivers for the machine model.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.