SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Need some serious opinions to M.C.S.E. please!!

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by madmacs
  • Latest reply from JonMCC33
  • Topic Viewed 737 times

madmacs
madmacs

Hi all. As you can see in my profile I´m actually a head chef but due to allergies I am going to be giving up my trade. I´m thinking about going on a M.C.S.E. course here in Germany, it will take 8 months full-time and will be costing me about 11.000€ (not too cheap!!) I was just wondering if it would be worth my money, seeing as I have no IT background or if better suggestions for me are out there!! I´ve always liked the idea of learning all about networks and OS. Thx in advance

Posted 5 years ago

JonMCC33
JonMCC33

Microsoft's exams have gotten a lot harder and require a lot of troubleshooting concept. It's a lot more than just memorizing questions and answers that created so many "Paper MCSE" situations back in the Windows NT/2000 Server days.

The MCSE concentrates more on the server/domain environment though. If networking is what you want to learn then that's best suited for Cisco certifications such as CCNA/CCNP, etc.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Thx 4 your reply JonMMC33, well i think i expressed my wishes wrong when i wrote "networks". I actually ment servers and domains, what my question really is even if i do pass all the exams with really good grades (I know it´s not going to be a walkthrough!!) how highly looked upon is a qualified MCSE. Will it be easy finding jobs or are there too many people coming from the same "area" with IT backgrounds?

Posted 5 years ago

JonMCC33
JonMCC33

I am not sure of the IT job market in Germany so I wouldn't be able to answer that question. In the US the job market is bad depending upon where you live, mainly due to the economy. Experience will get you a job more than just the certification does, although the certification helps boost you above anyone else if they lack it.

Above all, how you write your resume and present yourself in interview(s) determine whether or not you'll land a job. ;-)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.