The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - Need some help adding the old HD

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Tucats
  • Latest reply from Tucats
  • Topic Viewed 943 times

Tucats

About 9 months ago I build a new PC because my old one would not turn on. I said someday that I would add the old 160GB hard drive to my new PC and recover the files on it. I have lots of genealogy and past tax info that I would like to recover from my old HD to my new PC. I guess the time has come to put the old HD into my new system. My new PC has a 500GB HD and runs on Windows 7 OS. The old hard drive is (or was) operating on Windows XP. Is it as simple as adding the HD as a slave and then moving the files from one disk to another? I suspect there may be a conflict with the old XP OS and the new Win7 that I am using now. I also now have a 1TB Western Digital external HD added that I use just to back up everything. I didn't have that on my old PC. Any help/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

What is the Model Number of the New PC Motherboard ??

Is the Old Hard Drive a SATA or an IDE Model ??

Posted 1 year ago

Tucats

Model # of the new PC Motherboard is Gigabyte A75M-D2H with an AMD FM1 Socket and the HD is SATA. Looking at the old HD it appears to be IDE (it has a ribbon connector and 4 pin power connector). I bet you are going to say the old HD is not compatible...?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

No just need an IDE to SATA adapter.

The Mods know of some good inexpensive ones.

Stand by until they answer.

Posted 1 year ago

Tucats

I do have a new ULTRA SATA cable kit that has one 4 pin to SATA power adaptor (4 inch) and one SATA to SATA data cable. I guess I would need a SATA to IDE data cable.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Tucats

Ok thanks, I'll get one of those. But when I eventually install the old hard drive will there be any issues with it having Win XP on it as an operating system? My PC now boots up in Windows 7.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

NO issues as long as you keep the Bios set to boot from the Windows 7 SATA Disk.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Tucats

Great Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.