The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

need some advice for a friends laptop

(18 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by mojorisin7178
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 608 times

mojorisin7178

Okay my friend has an old laptop he got from a pawn shop. It is a gateway and it has an Intel celeron m 520 @ 1.60ghz ,1596mhz, 1core, 1 logical processor. That is what it says in system info exactly. Total installed memory RAM is 512, physical memory 445mb, and the available memory is 79.9mb. system type is x86-based pc. The model number is ML3109. It came with windows vista SP 2 installed from the factory.

The pc is in good shape it boots fine and all but the problem as you can see is memory. it runs really slow. I see that there is a ton of crap in memory that is not needed. My friend does not have allot of money so I need to do this a cheap as possible. I don't think that he can go for more ram now in the future maybe. Unfortunately I don't like going into laptops so I would have to take it to someone to install memory if it were a tower I would do it no problem. So I was going to reinstall vista without the crap I have a vista cd from my pops old emachine and the product key is still on the laptop.

But I was wondering if I installed windows XP SP3 instead would the system run better because of the ram? I know win vista and 7 really need at least 1 gig of ram to be okay. And xp was designed for the older pc's with less ram. I don't know really what do you guys think? The pc is only going to be used for web surfing and stuff he is not looking to do anything crazy with it. Just some educational kids games for his daughter. Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks,
Charlie

Posted 2 years ago

oldgeezer

If you have a legitimate copy of XP that you can install on it then that would be your easiest, and probably best, option. Does the laptop have an XP sticker on it? - I'm guessing it would not have come with Vista. It is very easy to add more memory, there's a small panel on the based that gives access to the chips & you can put up to 2Gb in it, but, as I say, XP would still be a better option.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

If you want to install XP, you will need a license which costs money too - unless the COA sticker on the bottom of the laptop is for XP. A good option may be one of the Linux systems. That would do fine with that kind of hardware.

LOL - oldgeezer was a few seconds faster.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Whatever OS you install, you will need more RAM. Run this scanner, it will tell you how much, and of what, you can put in,
http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/

Posted 2 years ago

mojorisin7178

Okay Thanks for the speedy replies. The pc came with vista the sticker on bottom is for vista. I think I have a old win xp disk that I burned of the net So I think I am going to try that and then purchase an activation key. I also might try fedora as I am a fan of that but I don't know what my buddy is going to like. I am assuming that it is a 32 bit system because of the age but I don't really know anyone know how I can tell for sure?

I cant understand why they sold pc's with 512mb ram and win vista when it is recommended that you have at least 1gb ram for vista. My pops e machine was the same way. And it was just awful. I have never installed ram on a laptop as a matter of fact I love to work on pc's and have taken apart or built every pc I have had. Except for my two laptops they scare me. But maybe I will get a set of balls and try to attempt it what the hell If I break it I am getting a new pc for myself so I will give him my old one. Thanks alot guys I will let you know the results.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

DO NOT install an XP you got from the net (in fact get rid of it). And you can't buy a legal key for it anyway.
Vista needs 2-3GB.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Fedora 'likes' to see 1gb ram.
Another option I use regularly is Zorin; http://zorin-os.com/free.html
Works fine on older laptops and also with 512mb ram.
Has a very 'Windows' like feel

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

And if you can change memory on a desktop it is just as easy if not easier to install memory on a laptop. There is an easy access door on the bottom that is specially for the memory. Flip a little switch and it comes out. Press it firmly to put in.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Changing RAM on a laptop is a piece of cake. Just open the bay and you will see. The only thing to watch out for is to get the Dimms in at the right angle - remember the approximate angle when you pull the old Dimms out. Then make sure they clip in. There are plenty of video tutorials on the web. Those may help.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Xhi and whs, Not always that easy. Sometimes you have to remove the keyboard, or even take the laptop apart. Please do not generalise.

Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

Agree with Lighthouse on that one, a lot of laptops have memory bays at the base and also under the keyboard, which can be a little fiddly to remove sometimes!!!

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Never seen a laptop, particularly an "old laptop", where you had to take off the keyboard. Maybe a mini or a net book? In any event if you do not find a memory "trap door" on the bottom then it will not be as easy as I stated.

Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

I had a Fujitsu Siemens and HP Laptop and both had one memory module located under the keyboard!

Posted 2 years ago

mojorisin7178

Yea If it is as easy as just taking off a door in the back then I have no problem. But i dont want to take apart a laptop especially one that doesnt belong to me. I already installed xp I knew it was okay because I have used it before as a matter of fact I think I might have gotten the link from someone here but I cant remember. I havekey because I took it off my old pc now running win 7 I think that is legal right? Anyway The problem I am haveing now is how to get the wirless card working without the drivers. I had to put in a USB card I have laying around to get on the net. I think I probally have to go to gateway to get the drivers right? The pc works way better with xp on it. It responds 100 times faster it is like a new pc. This is just temperary I am going to install more rm and win 7 but for now this will work. We have a hurrican coming here in New York and my friend just called and wants to use the computer to watch movies when power goes out so I just have to figure out the network problem and then I am giving it to him then I will work on it later.

One more question, You said fedora ikes 1gig ram would that be the same for ubuntu? And again thanks for the help.

Charlie

Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

If the Laptop was pre-installed with vista you may not be able to get drivers for XP from Gateway, you may need to find out what make the Wireless card is and go to the manufacturers website and look for drivers there! Most likely Intel Wireless Card

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Tis a Gateway, but can you give us the exact model number please. Will need to search for a service manual.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

My two Gateways have RAM bays that are easily accessible. All it takes is to turn the laptop around and check.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

If it all comes down to cost you can try a good 2gb USB stick and install "Readyboost". It is an easy setup with Vista and can also be setup in XP. This should help until cash becomes available
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....eadyboost/

http://wizardcreations.wordpre.....page-file/

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.