The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Need info on how to back up hundreds of photos

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LeMarsMan
  • Latest reply from LeMarsMan
  • Topic Viewed 326 times

LeMarsMan

I am cataloging thousands of photos with Adobe Lightoom. I am organizing them by date so there will be a ton of folders. I keep the images on an external hard drive and I can see that I need a good back up plan which I do not have.

Can anyone give me input on a good way of backing up my photos that is methodical and reliable. Right now I have a second external hard drive dedicated to backing up my LR external hard drive and although I am just getting started I already have over 7,000 photos imported in LR which will be the tip of the iceberg.

Right now, because I lack computer savvy and/or back up software, I simply copy and paste the photos I put in LR into the back up drive. This is not a good method I am discovering. I would like to back the photos up and also have a third external hard drive which I can store off site. If anyone has a good system I would love to heard about it.

Any input is highly appreciated.

LM

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Scroll down a bit,
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=44

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I would put the photos into a dedicated partition on your first external and then image that partition to another external. If you use free Macrium, you can even preschedule the backups. Here is a tutorial. If you have questions, post back.

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

To add to all I've written in the link LH posted, I now use Cobian for data backup.
You can set it to mirror files or folders or to copy all that is in folder A to folder B (from one drive to another for instance).
I'd be carefull with the mirror option though - if something would happen to the files in folder A and Cobian is set up to automatically 'mirror' your files, it might overwrite your good backup copy with the faulty ones in folder A.
So I have set Cobian to just copying files to the backup destination and only run the mirror job once in a while, when I now all is ok, manually.

Posted 1 year ago

LeMarsMan

Thanks for the responses. I kind of like the idea of the Macrium idea or perhaps you that in addition to another method like Corbian.

I have Acronis 2012. I assume I could use that to make an image the photo partition?

Thanks

LM

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!