The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Need help with windows 7

(14 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Robm612
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 664 times

Robm612

Ok I am getting pretty frustrated as I have now exhausted all of my computer knowledge, not very much i should add

I was using my laptop as normal with a full screen window up, windows updates finished installing and the computer prompted me to restart, however it didnt minimise the fullscreen window and i was watching the tv, so i must have missed it, so it restarted itself which isnt so bad but i was trying to install a steam game.

When it loaded itself back up it said it was shut down improperly...bla bla bla and gave me the option to either start in;
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt
or
Start windows normally

I have tried to do a system restore in safe mode with and without networking and it says there are no restore points, when i try to install windows again it says that i cant do it in safe mode.
Please note i dont have the full windows installation disc just the upgrade one.

Any help would be a godsend its only a few months old and cost me a lot of money and i truly am all out of ideas

Thanks for anything
Robbie

Posted 4 years ago

at0mic
at0mic

start windows normally

Posted 4 years ago

Robm612

Ha ha good one, i have some computer knowledge you know, i thought it would be presumed that i had tried that

When i try to start windows normally it trys to configure windows a blue screen comes up quickly then restarts itself and goes back to the screen with options to start in safe mode etc...

It comes up quickly but the first line says;
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED-AREA

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

did you recently add new RAM at all? if you did, remove the new RAM and restart.

have a look at this article

www.wikio.com/article/resolvin.....-162067936

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Robm612,
---
Try starting with command prompt.
If good, type in [ rstrui ] without brackets and tell us what happens.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Robm612

To mickey blue no its a laptop and im nowhere near skilled enough however the windows updates could have been drivers

To raphoenix i will try it and post what happens though it does take a while to start in safe mode with command prompt ( i tried it saw the screen waiting for commands and thought beep that!)

Thanks to you both for helping

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Thank You for correcting post wording.

Posted 4 years ago

Robm612

If you mean the swearing sorry, heat of the moment and what-not, edited it

Posted 4 years ago

Robm612

ok so i typed in rstrui in the command prompt, a couple of screens flash up then it stops on one saying that no restore points have been created

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Robm612,
---
System should have created a restore point before installing updates.
---
Obviously it did not.
---
What happens when you boot with upgrade disc in ??
EDIT: Does system still have old factory partition on it ??
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Leep

Make sure your cd/dvd is set for first boot device and put windows cd/dvd in and it should let you reinstall the system or repair it..
Leep:

Posted 4 years ago

Robm612

raphoenix - when i boot up with the disk in the tray nothing happens, when i get to safe mode and click on the disk drive it starts to boot the windows installer application then stops because im in safe mode
Im sorry i dont know what a factory partition is...

at leep - when i forst googled the problem i was reading that but have no idea how to do what you said, where would i set the cd/dvd drive for first boot bearing in mind i can only get in windows safe mode?

Thanks for any help you guys
Robbie

Posted 4 years ago

Robm612

ok update:

I managed to get into the BIOS settings and make it boot from disk, when i got into it i clicked the repair tool windows seemingly couldnt find a problem to repair so i decided to do a memory diagnostic to check that it isnt a hardware fault, its doing the check at the moment i will update when it is done

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Robm612,
---
The problem we are facing here is a lack of information.
1. What is the Make and Model of the Machine ??
2. Is it under warrenty ??
3. What operating system did you upgrade from ??
4. Does the system still have the old installation partition intact on it ??
5. What is on an Upgrade Installation DVD as for as utilities ??
6. Can you make Boot CDs, Etc.. Etc...
---
The system really needs to be "nuked" and a Clean Install OR Restore from Partition done in my opinion.
---
I don't have much to work with if I don't have the answers to above plus a Full MS Installation DVD which most won't purchase with their new computer systems.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!