How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Need help with TV and PC merging into one

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jeannine
  • Latest reply from jeannine
  • Topic Viewed 807 times

jeannine
jeannine

I have Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit PC and I would like to merge my computer with TV.I already have a cordless mouse and keyboard but I'm wondering if I can use my Dell monitor and my AOC TV both? Is there a cord for a monitor/TV screen to where I can switch back and forth? Feel what I'm trying to ask baby? I have found that my DVD/CD's will not play(if burned)on my GPX DVD Player that is hooked up to my TV. I can only watch burned disc on my PC. So what should I do? Just get rid of my Dell monitor and hook up PC into TV? I also want to add(later)surround sound,webcam and buy a camera.I'm a newbie to all this technology stuff and just trying to figure out what to do.Others tell me all I need is a VGA cord and that's it but I know nothing can be that easy.Can you help this PC beginner? Thank you.

Posted 1 year ago

Billbug

To use TV with your PC you need a VGA to AV (or composite video & audio) converter. This will enable you to run both your monitor and TV at the same time, or separately. But be warned, the resolution on your PC Monitor is much higher than a TV's resolution. Most TV's can only accept up to 1024 x 768. In other words, your TV screen will not be as clear and crisp as your monitor. Suitable for playing videos perhaps, but not worth the effort for PC usage unless you have a HD TV with a HDMI input. In that case you only need a cable from PC to TV. Hope this helps.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

jeannine, Hi. Wecome to HTG. It would really help if you could give the models of your PC and the AOC TV so that we could look at their specs and give you a more straight-forward advice on how you can connect the two.

Posted 1 year ago

jeannine
jeannine

Well the PC is eMachine Model:ET1831 Processor:Pentium(R)Dual-Core CPU 2.70GHz E5400@ Widows 7 64bit and the TV is 32" LCD TV AOC Envision Series L32W961 Oh and I do have the HDMI input according to the manual.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Hi jeannine.

If you have fast broadband you could try one of these.

http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

Ged

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

The eMachine PC has only 1 video output (onboard vga) so you can not use both Dell monitor and the AOC TV. The PC has an available PCI express x16 slot for an expansion video card. You can buy and install one and connect the AOC TV via HDMI interface.

Posted 1 year ago

jeannine
jeannine

Thank you so much for your help.I think I'm just gonna go with hooking my PC and TV together and get rid of my monitor.You guys are awesome and I appreciate your time and your help.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!