SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Need help with BOOTFIX!! BOOTMGR is MISSING!!!

(3 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by geekchef
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 4245 times

geekchef

Fujitsu Life Book N series
Vista 32

I was trying to format my pc, and chose the wrong option. I partitioned my drives which also deleted my BOOTMGR. I've tried repairing it from a Vista Repair Disk that i got from this website to no avail. I attempted to use the repair function from the main menu, and it told me that windows could not find a solution. I also tried going to the command prompt and using the bootfix command. it told me the operation was successful but i am still getting the BOOTMGR error message.

Thanks, any help is appreciated!

Posted 5 years ago

JustAskMe
JustAskMe

Hi there geekchef. In my experiences (very many lol) the bootmgr error is one that generally requires a reinstall of the OS, Vista in this case. If you poke around a bit on the web you will probably see the same advice on any site. Put your Vista dvd in the drive, let it reformat the drive and reinstall Vista. You can also check to see if there is a "hidden" restore partition on the HD and just do a reinstall from there. I believe that if you formatted the drive you may have have inadvertently removed the restore partition . If you do have access to the restore partition (or were supplied with restore disks by the manufacturer) use it/them but you will lose any programs/data that you added to the OS (plus get all the junk that the manufacturer of the comp added) The other option will do the same but won't add the junk. The Restore Disk will at least have all the drivers for your particular hardware. Now, there are some programs that claim to fix the bootmgr error but I don't know any that really work (some folks might) and none are free! Good Luck, let us know what happens!

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

geekchef,
---
Here is The Geek HowTo.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/
---
<JustAskMe> also has a Good Solution if this doesn't work.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!