The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

(Solved) - Need help on saving Access documents

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by NYCaribou
  • Latest reply from NYCaribou
  • Topic Viewed 699 times

NYCaribou

I've been hired by a couple of acquaintances to help clean up their Microsoft Access database. The person who normally maintains a database listing of names in his organization, is doing something wrong that keeps making new copies of the listing every time he updates and then saves. From what I understand, every time he saves updates, it creates "Copy of..." and then "Copy of copy of..." and never overwrites the file he's just updated.

I've been hired and asked to create a new listing file from scratch, but eventually he's doing to need to update it again. Unfortunately, I only know enough about Microsoft Access to create the new file, sort it by dates and names, and a few other functions. The primary reason they've hired me is because I type considerably faster than either of them. I'm not exactly sure why the main who keeps the list on his hard drive, keeps creating new copies every time he updates it.

Is Access programmed to do this by default? How will he be able to overwrite the file when he updates it? He ends up with enough copies, inevitably, that later, he can't be sure which copy is the most up-to-date.

I need some advice on how to show him how to save OVER the copy he's updating, and overwrite it, and maintain no more than one backup in case the original gets corrupted.

EDIT... it's possible he keeps using Save AS instead of simply Save, he might think that's the right way to save all documents... could that be it?

Posted 1 year ago

Colshy

An Access database should save automatically, ie when you add a new record, you don't have to click 'Save' at all. At least that's my understanding.

Try it with a new record and see what happens, add a record then hit close in the top right corner. Open the database again and see if its still there.

Col

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

I agree with Colshy on that

Posted 1 year ago

NYCaribou

Yeah, what I did was, I started cleaning the database up, made about five corrections, then used "Close Database" and then re-opened it again. The changes were all intact.

I have another question, but for the sake of topic continuity, I'm going to mark this solved and start a new thread.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.