How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Need help building a computer: absolute beginner

(29 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by johnguy
  • Latest reply from johnguy
  • Topic Viewed 1464 times

warlock
warlock

@Rick, I knew you would be here eventually. You're the man.

Posted 2 years ago

johnguy

Im still in the planning stages, and Im not 100% sure on the amount of money I will be able to spend. I would like to spend about $500. I Really just want a computer that can play empire total war on high, but it doesnt need to do anything more than that, other than play and copy cd and dvd like any other computer. I want a home computer that can play that game well. I learned a lot and ive considered all the comments. What i need to know is how to determine part compatibility, and the minimum that I need to run the game on high. I think im going with AMD, so can anyone suggest a motherboard and cpu to start with. The games suggested specs are a dual core 2.4 GHz processor. So I dont know if a quad core is necessary, but I might want a faster speed to be safe so I can play on high settings. I wont do a lot of multitasking so am I correct in saying the processor speed is more important than the # of cores? I want to be able to add more ram later so I need a motherboard that allows that. Any motherboard/cpu suggestions? thanks and sorry. I do appreciate all the help

Posted 2 years ago

johnguy

Im sorry the minimum requirements is 2.4 GHz, the recommended is 2.6 GHz.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.strategyinformer.co.....ments.html

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=2

Posted 2 years ago

johnguy

What do you think of these parts. Any issues? Will it make a complete working computer suitable for my purpose?
Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 3.2 Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS M4A785-M
Graphics Card Processor: Radeon HD 4850 1024MB
4GB DDR2 RAM
Case and Power Supply: 9257 Black Computer Case/Mid Tower 600 Watt and 250mm Fan
Hard Drive: Western Digital SATA Internal Hard Drive, 320GB, 7200 RPM
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black EIDE/ATAPI Model SH-S222A

Will there be any compatibility issues or can I get a better compatible part for less or the same price? thanks

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Mother Board is an out-of-date discontinued production component and so are other items.

Suggest you save up your money and find other uses for a computer beside playing old games.

I realize gaming is fun but there are 1000s of better reasons for building a computer. :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

johnguy

Is it even possible to build a computer that can play the game I want for under $500-$600. It doesnt have to be top-of the-line parts, I think its a fairly old game anyway, if that matters. Other than the one game, it will only be used for basic things. Are there any other alternatives? Do you have any suggestions?

Posted 2 years ago

johnguy

These are the parts I have chosen to build my pc, and I was wondering if they would run etw with no problems. Also, do you see any issues with compatibility, and would I be able to upgrade in the future? Also, is this a complete computer, or do I need something else to use it. I have Windows 7 64-bit os on a disc, so could I just install that?

COOLER MASTER Elite 311 RC-311B-OWN1 Orange Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
TOSHIBA DT01ACA050 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity ...
SONY Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1681S-0B - OEM
Diablotek DA Series PSDA600 600W ATX12V v2.2 Power Supply
Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PGD38G1333ELK
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

This is a budget computer, so I cant afford the latest technology. As long as it can run Empire Total War on high settings without problems. Other than that it will be used for basic things like cd and dvd playback and internet browsing. thanks

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!