The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Need Help!!!'

(22 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by alexs57
  • Latest reply from Fhirkin9
  • Topic Viewed 1094 times

alexs57

Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this... Well the thing is that my laptop (HP Dv4-2145dx With Windows 7) broke 2 weeks ago it turned on and all but i got this message "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" anyway i decided not to take it somewhere and get it fixed instead i decided to buy a new computer with the idea of transferring the files from the hard drive from the old laptop to the new one. So last week i went and and bought a new laptop i got a cheap Samsung series 3 with Windows 8. Then i order one case to put the hard drive in i put it together and all i thought it was going to be like when you plug in a flash drive the folder pops up and you transfer files easy as pie but no i guess i was wrong... the folder don't pop up when i plug it in, it shows on Devices and Printers (USB Mass Storage Device) and it says its working properly i just want to recover all my files from my old laptop...

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Judging by "No Bootable Device" and the fact that the hard drive in not showing up after installing in a USB case I would assume that the hard drive is not in good shape
You should always backup your stuff to an external drive, although that doesn't help you now, I'd say the only problem was with the hard drive and there was no need to replace the Laptop

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

It apparently is working. Look into (My) Computer whether you see it there. Then double click on it. In Windows 8 you find 'Computer' in the left pane of the Explorer window (not Internet Explorer). The Explorer icon (yellow manila folder) is on the bottom left of the taskbar.

Posted 1 year ago

alexs57

Well i Checked on My Computer and it does not appear there only Local Disk (C:) is there. But when i right click on Computer and click manage then Device Manager it shows on Disk Drives (USB Mass Storage Device). anyone else wants to take a shot?'

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Well.
Disconnect the drive; you have the old HDD in a caddy, yes?

Boot into Win 8, THEN connect the drive when fully desktop running.
Your machine may be finding a boot directory

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

alexs57

Mike... You meant to put the old HDD into the new laptop?'

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

U have an external enclosure for the old laptop's drive right? If u installed it in enclosure correctly u should be able to view that drive when u hook it to new laptop while new laptop is running... if possible try to connect enclosure to a different Pc could be a bum enclosure or a problem with your installation in that enclosure

Posted 1 year ago

alexs57

Yes i bought a external enclosure... When i plug it in 'it shows on 'Devices and Printers' it shows on 'Disk Drives' too but it will not show on 'My Computer'... any other ideas?'

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

It probably does not show because it does not have a partition with a drive letter. Post a picture of Disk Management and tell us which disk it is.

Posted 1 year ago

alexs57

Well here are 3 pics... i think that that's what we need add a letter to the drive...

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

As I suspected, Disk1 has nothing on it. You have to define a partition with a drive letter in order for it to show. But right click first on the smaller box on the left where it says 'Disk1" and initialize it.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

No, it isn't on the last picture. Look at the SIZES, top on is only 500MB's, not 298.09GB's.

Disk 1 needs to be FORMATTED which then becomes the next available drive letter.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

alexs57

So how do i do that?' Formatted?'

Posted 1 year ago

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you format the drive you took out of your old laptop you will destroy the files you are trying to save. Do not format anything.

Posted 1 year ago

alexs57

Ohhh ok ok... So how will i save the files and make the drive work?'

Posted 1 year ago

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Having no idea what trauma caused your drive to cease showing your files, dropping the laptop, sitting the laptop on top of a powerful electromagnet, etc., I don't know a process for getting access to a drive that you can no longer view in My Computer. Someone else may have suggestions for you.

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

Programs like Acronis Disk Director or a bootable linux disk with TestDisk like Parted Magic may be able to repair the partition and make the drive and files readable again.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I have used Partition Wizard in the past, to recover the drive, and the data, in a situation like yours.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

A free option is "Recuva" by the makers of CCleaner. I have had some success using the program. You will need to remove the drive and use the enclosure, or **perhaps** use the Recuva portable version on a USB flash drive and boot the laptop into that environment. Good luck!

Recuva home page

Posted 1 year ago

alexs57

I tried Partition Wizard and it didnt work... so lests give Recuva a shot...

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!