How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Need fan recommendation

(24 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by InDiSent
  • Latest reply from InDiSent
  • Topic Viewed 1680 times

InDiSent

Hey everyone,

I sitting here at my desk and i just realized how loud my wife's PC fans are. This is a PC that i built for her but i never noticed the noise since the PC was on a file cabinet. Now i have it sitting on the desk and it's LOUD. What brand and model of fan would you guys recommend as far as best cooling and quietest? Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs

Hi InDiSent, what M/B is built in? (AMD/Intel) How much space is there inside your case? (Case model) Also, how many fans are inside the case, have you looked to see which one is loud? I ask this because the loudest fan in my case is the one to cool my HD's. So telling you to buy one for your CPU might not solve your problem!! Matt

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent

Hey Matt,
I'm going to replace the case fans and the CPU fan. The front case and cpu are 80mm fans, the rear case fan is 120mm. The case is an Apevia X-Qpack2 with an AMD mobo.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs

Those 80mm fans are always pretty loud, is there any way of inserting a bigger fan in the front? There´s not a lot of room in your case!!

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Hey Matt, any recommendations as to the best oil/grease for "re-lubricating" fans ?

Edit. For the average computer.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs

Hi LH, now I know this is going to sound silly but I´m being serious!! Sewing machine oil!! I´ve always used it after reading good comments about it. It´s a "lightweight" oil that works well at high temperatures and is also specifically designed to lubricate high speed parts!! The best thing is, it´s cheap ;)

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Matt, that doesn't sound silly at all! Thanks :)
(p.s., I know a little bit about oils and greases :), (but not in computer fan usage (:

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs

LH, you probably know more about oils n´greases than I do!! I read about SM oil a few years ago and it seems as if it´s quite a popular way to lube fans.

EDIT: @InDiSent, what socket does your AMD use?

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Matt. If you would like to know more, please could you open a new topic in OT ? (It involves cooking as well :)

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

I use (5) in Antec tower cases similar but not the same as this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6811999612
Consider Bearings and CFM Specs of up-most importance.
As for noise, Pets and Spouse got use to the sound many years ago. (lol) (lol)
If you purchase in Case Lots (10/12), price per unit comes way down.
As to maintenance, take'um out, wash'um and lubricate with sewing machine oil regularly. (lol) (lol)
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....post-32328

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

YEP !!, pretty much what all builders recommend and do.
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Noise level of Vantec fan from Newegg: 55.2 dBA

EPA assessment of acceptable max noise levels:

Likewise, levels of 55 decibels outdoors and 45 decibels indoors are identified as preventing activity interference and annoyance.

Being able to work in a quiet environment: priceless!

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

(LOL) (LOL) If you can hear'um, you know they're running. :):)
No "style" points. (LOL) (LOL)

Posted 5 years ago

LH

A slight hum is fine. A roaring banshee, NO!

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

The Vantec fan specs are great.
Re-posted Link. http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6811999612
Can't beat the buyer comments on the product page which mean a lot when evaluating hardware popular items.

Also the product gets Best Rated and Most Reviews in its class when sorted upon.
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman

I'm a 'fan' of Scythe. I've got 3 case fans and one on the CPU (not counting the the PSU or video card fans) and all I have is a gentle hum.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

The 80MM ones don't put out but 34 CFM though.
However the larger size fans do move more CFM and appear to have good bearings.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

InDiSent, is the case one of these little square jobs?
http://www.apevia.com/Products.....CK2-AL/500

How cute! Loud fans would never pass the WAF in my house. Since that case has a temperature gauge on it, you can see that number along with info from Speedfan, for example. If you are not having heat problems, maybe you don't need all of the case fans running, or not all at high speed. Have you taken temp readings on it?

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Talking about temp. regulation, has anyone got some R53 thermistors they don't need ?
Genuine request.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.