The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

need custom pc build advice

(27 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by phantanite
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 949 times

LadyFitzgerald

@ phantanite. Rick brings up a valid point. The card you chose is 10" long (at least the power cables come in from the side instead of the end) so not just any case mid-tower case is going to take it (mine won't, for example). The Antec P280 is one mid-tower that will. It is supposed to handle cards up to 13" long. One thing case manufacturers did to save space was to rotate the HDDs 90° which both moves the HDD cables out of the way and makes the space needed for the HDDs from front to rear shorter (which is why most newer mid-towers can take longer cards). The P280 will only hold 6 HDDs (five if you have to remove the SSD cage) instead of nine like the 1200 can, but the HDDs are much easier to get at for installation and removal. The air filters are also much easier to get at for cleaning. The P280 is also designed to be a quieter case. However, if you plan on eventually putting in more than five or six HDDs and/or you like the lighted fans and the side window, the 1200 is still a pretty good case.

You would have to buy a couple fans for the front of the case with the P-280.

@ Travis299. When the Antec 1200 first came out, one of the complaints made against it was its height made hard to get the 8 pin CPU PSU cable to reach the socket on the MOBO (the same complaint was made about the front panel cables; apparently, that has been fixed). Hence the potential need for an extension cable. I forgot that the DELUXE MOBO comes with SATA cables.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Hey, Rick! How about this case? ;)

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

@LadyFitzgerald,
I like that case! Its...roomy!

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Heck, you could sleep in it.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Ya, here's where I look first for best cases.

http://www.mypccase.com/ense.html

Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead

@LF. What size of engine does it have? Makes my 800D look tiny.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Ford 3.5L Ecoboost?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.