The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Need Advice On Purchsing Windows 8 Upgrade

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Straspey
  • Latest reply from Straspey
  • Topic Viewed 324 times

Straspey

With time running out, I downloaded the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant last night and ran it successfully.

I was given the option to purchase a download or DVD, and was prepared to go with the DVD.

However, I was presented with two payment options - Credit Card or Paypal (Both of which I have) but was a bit concerned when I noticed my connection at that point was not a locked https connection - so I aborted the transaction.

I would be very interested and grateful to hear from other experienced members and mods here regarding their method of purchasing the Windows 8 Upgrade, and whether or not I should be concerned about this.

I would very much like to purchase a DVD for $14.99 before the impending deadline.

Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I got mine on-line from MS and paid with the credit card. Have not noticed any problems. But I got the .iso and burnt it myself.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

This page is locked.
https://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US/Registration

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

I bought a 40$ license and a 15$ one (for laptop purchased after june 2nd 2012). Both using PayPal.
There is no need to give MS more money for a DVD.
When you start the upgrade process, the first step (after paying) is downloading the files needed to upgrade. Once these files have been downloaded you will have the choice to start the upgrade process, or save the files as ISO. Once you save the ISO you can cancel the upgrade process, burn the ISO to DVD, then either upgrade or clean install with that DVD. I used my ISO / DVD for both upgrade and clean install. Worked like a charm.
That DVD you just created is the same thing as MS would ship to you, for 15$.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

@raphoenix : page works fine here. (?)

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

afuhnk,

Ya, the the download page to order the upgrade is Fine and locked for purchasing.

One can purchase more $15 Keys and use the same ISO without downloaded it again to install on other machines.

Can use the download process to make ISO file to make DVD or USB installation devices for clean installs.

Not sure why everybody has waited so long to get the $15 Windows Pro.

Is not mandatory that it be installed right away.
======
Straspey,

CC Law says one is only responsible for $50 if CC is stolen or lost and not reported.
Responsible for $0 if the CC incident is reported in a timely manner.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

Thanks to everybody for their helpful replies so far.

After running the upgrade assistant, I was offered two purchase options:

Download the files for $39.99

Purchase DVD for $14.99

What am I missing here ?

==================================================================================

EDIT:

I just ran the upgrade assistant again and I see where I goofed.

I can purchase the download for $39.99 and the DVD for an ADDITIONAL $14.99.

I thought it was an either/or option - which did seem a bit odd to me.

I'll keep everybody updated - and thanks again.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

If you mean 'why can't I purchase it at 15$ instead of 40$', you first need to fill the form here: https://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US/Registration
This will give you a coupon/rebate code that you can apply during the procedure.

Posted 1 year ago

AlanWade

I got the ISO as well and havnt had any problems with my card.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Download is purchased for $39.99 and then OPTIONALLY you can elect for an ADDITION $14.99 a DVD copy mailed to you. Only NEW COMPUTERS purchased after June (forgot the exact date) is eligible for a special $14.99 price (and another $14.99 if a DVD is wanted).

Irv S.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

Irv -

Thanks so much.

I kind of figured that out by going to the promotional link and under the questions regarding when I purchased my current computer, it only gave options for PC's purchased in 2012 or 2013 (mine is 2010).

I'm going to re-run the upgrade assistant and download the .iso for the $39.99 - although will probably not install it until a later date.

Thanks very much for clearing this up -- and thanks to everybody who offered their helpful input.

- Howard

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.