SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

need a small light os for an old computer, suggestions?

(19 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by satansoldier
  • Latest reply from satansoldier
  • Topic Viewed 8773 times

satansoldier
satansoldier

i need a small light OS for an old computer i came across. I don't have any money or extra pendrives so it needs to be able to be installed on a hardrive.
Specs: eMachine eTower 600ix
600MHz Intel Celeron
64mb ram
128 KB cache
15GB hdd
40x cd-rom
3d AGP Graphics Intel direct

doesn't have to be linux, just needs to be free and open source, what do you suggest?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

satansoldier,

You have a way of burning a CD ??

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♣

Posted 6 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

yes i can burn a CDr but not rw

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

satansoldier,

I guess I would go with Ubuntu.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
Download and Burn the ISO Then Install on HD.

EDIT: You will need a $5.00 LAN card probably so you can get to the net after installation to download some extras. Could pull one out of another machine temporarily to get setup if you have one.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♣

Posted 6 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

I did look at ubuntu, i use it as a second OS on my current computer, and i have it on a cd already (somewhere...) but i think the computers specs are just a little to close to the minimum requirements for ubuntu. I've come across Damn Small Linux and Slax while using stumble upon, but i wanted to know if any one has used a system like this that they could suggest, or perhaps you have seen a OS that could run fairly easily on this system.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

satansoldier,
Think? both may work especially "Damn Small".

See EDIT in earlier post above.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♣

Posted 6 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

it does have a 56k modem, but i have a wireless home network, so i'm probably going to buy another USB wireless adapter like i use for our vista machine. Of course the USB is the older model so i have to look at compatibility.
Runnin cat 5 across my house would be far to expensive.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

satansoldier,

The wireless adapter solution will work but you will need to load the Proprietary Driver in Ubuntu.
You know how to do that.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♣

Posted 6 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

OK, I've decided to use Damn Small. I have formatted the hardrive and burnt a DSL onto a CD, i can access the CD but it says i need to create a Linux partition before installing. I tried using the Ubuntu Live CD's partition manger thing but the PC doesn't have enough memory to run the CD. not creating a new partition first seems to lead to an indefinitely blinking cursor with no error or prompt of any kind. Bios doesn't support booting from usb. Any advice on how to procede?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

satansoldier,

EDIT: Re-Read your post.

It's pretty late and was just about to do maintenance on machine and go to bed.

Can we mark thread and proceed tomorrow ??

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♣

Posted 6 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

dont worry, i think i got it, i just need to figure out how to make the moouse work, wich i can probably handle, thanks for your help

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

let me know how you get the mouse to work, and the keyboard...

Posted 6 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

OzSpitt, i had to use a usb mouse and i dont think i had any problems with the keyboard

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i use a usb mouse, i'll try it again. i tried t use the keyboard as a mouse, thats where i thought the keyboard didn't work, lol

Posted 6 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

yeah, the ports are usualy color coded

Posted 6 years ago

parnote

You might wanna try TinyMe, a PCLinuxOS derivative designed to work on older computers with little memory.

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

How about Xubuntu? It has a familiar Ubuntu underbelly, but with xfce interface for older computers.

You could also look at Slackware using xfce or fluxbox. ZipSlack is a slackware based distro for old machines.
*Source* - http://www.linux.com/feature/52134

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

dsl (damn small linux) is always good on older machines :) i can run on only 8mb of ram

Posted 5 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

Thanks yall, i already installed DSL and it seems to work fine. but i dont have a monitor for it so its just sittin there. Plus i plan to over time, uprgade it to an xp machine. It'll take quite a bit of time and money but it'll be the first computer i've ever "built"

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.