The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

National Geographic DVD Set Anyone?

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ReadandShare
  • Latest reply from ReadandShare
  • Topic Viewed 537 times

ReadandShare

I recently installed and copied The Complete National Geographic 7-DVD set onto my computer, which runs on Win 7 OS (Home Premium). My 1TB internal drive is only about 15% full, but I decided to carve out a separate directory -- allotting 100GB -- of which Nat Geo now occupies 50GB.

I noticed that it takes a good 12-13 seconds to open up Nat Geo. All my other apps (browser, Office, etc.) open up 'in a jiffy'. I wonder if installing on a separate directory slows things down? Or is Nat Geo just slow to open? Wonder if other owners have similar experience with long wait time?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@ReadandShare, Do some googling around. Others are having your same problem. Seems to have to do with the software NG is using.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Hi warlock:

I did google and also read a bunch of reviews on Amazon.com. Most problems seemed to involve installation. Luckily, my DVD set installed almost flawlessly -- everything worked well actually -- but I am mighty curious that any program would take a whopping 13 seconds to load!!

If you came across experiences like mine -- long loading time -- please provide links. Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@ReadandSare, No time to look tonight. But, when you said installed almost flawlessly that could be a key statement. Don't remember where I read it but, files could have been corrupted during the install and causing your slow opening.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Download and install Free Defraggler

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Defrag the drive Thoroughly.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Ah no problem. It isn't anything urgent.

Actually, the installation went flawlessly. The one hiccup was figuring out the "addendum" Disc 7 -- which added two more years to the original set. No instructions were given, so I had to fumble around a bit. But that too got installed and integrated.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

@raphoenix:

As above, I created a drive just for this DVD set. But since you mentioned... I ran a defrag analysis out of curiosity -- and it came back just 1% defragmented -- as expected.

Again, not a huge issue -- just curious if other Nat Geo DVD set owners have the same experience of long (12-13 sec) loading time.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!