How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Nas storage options

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jmeeks49
  • Latest reply from digitalagent
  • Topic Viewed 594 times

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

My wife and i have between us 13 external drives and we are running out of room on our desks and i was thinking ( yeah i know dangerous lol) about setting up a nas system in a raid array but in order for me to do this we would have to buy all internal drives again which the expense would eat me up alive for the amount of drives that we would need i need a rack system going up and down not length wise to save space on my desk. The ideal situation is to have all the drives in my office and have it networked out to her system. any thoughts?

John

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Well, I have external remote drives connected to my router. Most routers only have 2 USB ports though. Still, most will handle 2TB USB drives, and the newer ones with USB 3.0 I think can handle the 4TB drives. If you have than many external drives and they are SMALL, cheapest solution might be a router that will handle USB drives. Can be set up as Media Server or FTP sites. Yeah, transfer can be slow, 130Mbps seems to be the fastest I've gotten on a 1GB wired to the router connection. Video files are served up fast enough to wireless devices like the Home Theater and iPads.

I also believe but HAVE not tried, that a USB hub can be places on one of the USB router ports. Right now I have a 1TB USB drive attached and it handles anything we need to place on it. Occasionally I put on another USB drive to save away sporadic system images.

Only downside I see is lost data if something goes wrong. I've had one USB drive die on me.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

digitalagent

What are the sizes of the current externals you have now and how much space are you looking to have in a nas solution?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!