How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

name doesn't show when selecting log off

(2 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by bnewt
  • Latest reply from gedstar
  • Topic Viewed 439 times

bnewt

having probles with the correct name showing up when logging on to a xp pc
I thought when I logged off at night, the next day that same user name came up waiting for a password
today noticed that "customer" shows up when I try to log on...........I have to enter the correct user name & then password.
I also noticed that when cycling through........restart, shut down........log off also shows customer instead of name
The pc just had xp reinstalled due to hard drive failure. The name was changed on the user account from "customer" to my
name. The correct name appears on the start menu, but not as explained above

any ideas?

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

Try this

1 Open the "Start" menu and click on the "Run" button.
2 Type "regedit" into the text box and hit "Enter." The Registry Editor utility will launch.
3 Use the database tree on the left side of the window to navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion directory.
4 Right-click on the entry labeled "RegisteredOwner" and choose the "Modify" option from the contextual menu.
5 Enter your desired username in the "Value data" field.
6 Press the "OK" button to save your settings.
7 Close the Registry Editor program and restart your PC to begin using the new login name.

Warning
Be extremely careful when making changes to your registry--mistakes can jeopardize your operating system.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.