The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

My XP SP2 computer can connect to this Win7 computer but not vice-versa

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Win7noob
  • Latest reply from Win7noob
  • Topic Viewed 689 times

Win7noob

Thanks to your great how-to guide I was able to get my XP computer to transfer files to my new Win 7 computer via my wired network. I was even able to connect my printer so it'd print through my Win7 machine, a first for me.

The problem is I can't things to work the other way around. In other words, I can't access my XP computer from the Win 7 machine. I can see the computer listed, both have the same workgroup name as directed, both the public and the folders I changed to shared are visible when I open the Network Library. I can even open the XP computer on the network to see the shared folders inside. Still when I doubleclick even the shared folder I can a popup window with the attached error message.

I have Norton Internet Security 2010 installed but I don't think it's interfering as even with both firewalls turned off I can't access the XP unit. I've always seemed to have problems with this particular computer as far as network sharing is concerned. I was having similar problems when I had two computers that were both using XP. I probably messed up a network setting somewhere. I can tear down a PC and put it back together but networking is not my strong suit. Any advice you can give is appreciated.

Edit: FYI, my XP computer does have Computer Administrator permissions.

Posted 4 years ago

ian2

was it this guide you followed howtogeekguide

Posted 4 years ago

InterPC

You might need to give yourself full administrators rights: http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/.....-a-197772/
I hope this will work for you.

Posted 4 years ago

Win7noob

@ian2, yes that was the guide I followed. You can see it explains how to set up your Win 7 system so XP can access it but an assumption is made that the Win 7 system can also access XP. In my case, that didn't happen.

@InterPC - I performed the steps in the guide. Strangely the value FilterAdministratorToken that the article told me to edit to 0 was already set that way in the registry. In any case it did not stop the error from happening, unfortunately.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.