The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

My Windows8 interface keeps disappearing

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by PaulineE
  • Latest reply from Ruja
  • Topic Viewed 1228 times

PaulineE

Please be kind... I'm 64 and learning all the things you young folks grew up with..:)
I upgraded from Vista to Windows8 and installed it myself 2 weeks ago.... still getting to know it.
I had my mail configured to come in and I created a Microsoft hotmail account as prompted. Somehow I've done something to the apps screen, here's what happens:
I have the apps screen open and click on 'mail' or 'people'.... the app's opening icon comes up full screen, but then it immediately returns to the mainscreen. I don't even have time to go to the settings charm. I did have the Windows8 mail program working okay for a while.

After that I installed Pokki, and I prefer the interface menu there. But I still can't get my mail to download to my computer.... I still have to go into my hotmail web account.
I hope I'm making sense.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this please?

Thanks so much.
Pauline

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Hi Pauline, welcome to the forum. We are always happy to help the youngsters (I am 75). LOL

Why don't you right click on it in the Apps screen and pin it to the Start menu (control will show on the bottom left). Then start it from there.

Posted 1 year ago

PaulineE

Hi whs...... I see I have come to the right place.... Loved your opener!

Thank you for your reply. The only option I get there is to 'unpin from the start menu'. So I guess it is already pinned.

Warmest regards...
Pauline

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

So just start it from there - what happens then ??

Posted 1 year ago

PaulineE

This is maybe where I'll come unstuck!

In Windows8 the start screen is the one with all the coloured squares on it, which are the 'apps'....? That's where I'm trying to start it from. When I try to start it from Pokki start menu... the same thing happens. I click on the 'mail'.... then the mail program opening page appears with the envelope icon in the middle of the screen, but instead of then going to the mail program it goes back to the main menu.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Now I am stuck because I do not have a Windows 8 right now to diagnose the problem. I will ask my friend Rick to have a look.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

EDIT: Now I'm not sure if this is such a good idea. If any other solution comes up try those first, and do this later if you still have the problem.

You could try uninstalling the Mail app and then reinstalling.

The Calendar, People, Mail, and Messaging Metro style applications are bundled together. To uninstall the Calendar, Messaging, Mail, and People Metro style applications:
1. Enter the Start screen
2. Right click Calendar, Mail, Messaging, or People
3. Click Uninstall
4. Click Uninstall

Then you will need to reinstall, which can be done by following these steps:
1. Enter the Start screen
2. Click Store
3. Press Windows key + C to show the Charms bar (if you are using a touchscreen: Touch the right edge of your screen and drag your finger toward the center of your screen to show the Charms bar)
4. Click Search
5. Type Mail
6. Click Mail, Calendar, Messaging, and People under Recommendations
7. Click Install

More info here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/e.....7bada8bc11

If this does not fix it or you need any help just ask.

Posted 1 year ago

PaulineE

Thank you whs.

Thank you Ruja... I do appreciate all your info there. But your edit scared me a little! So here's what I've done now..
I'm now using Windows Live Mail for all my email accounts, so I really don't need the Widows8 mail program anymore....do I? Would there be any advantage in my keeping it at all?

And then I'll try uninstalling something (maybe messenger, as I don't use it)....and then I'll install it again and see if the problem goes away. If I'm not using Messenger, do I really need to have it there at all? I'll use it as a test anyway, and then I can uninstall it again if I don't need it there for any reason. I always worry about messing around with 'programs'..... now that they're called 'apps' not 'programs', does that make them any less scary??? :/

Thanks so much for assisting me with this.
Regards...
Pauline

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Windows Live Mail will work great, if you are comfortable using that then there is no need to use another program.

For "Messenger", do you mean the "Messaging" app? That application is bundled with the "Mail", "Calendar" and "People" apps. You uninstall and install them together, with a single click. Since now you are using another program for your mail accounts, you can now try the method I posted, and if it works, you can switch to the new "Mail" app.

These new 'apps' for the new Windows 8 interface are much easier to install and uninstall. You don't need to worry about them: install them from the Microsoft Store, and uninstall them from the Start Screen (right-click, then uninstall). You can always install again from the Store an app you uninstalled.

And don't worry about my edit ;=) I just thought there may be an easier way to solve that, but I can't find one anyways.

If you have any doubts just ask.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.