SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - My Windows 8 PC is runing slow.

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by David56
  • Latest reply from David56
  • Topic Viewed 11417 times

David56

My Windows 8 PC is runing slow.When i ask from one of my friend what to do? He tell me to download a registry cleaner software.Do i really need a registry cleaner or not.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

We don't recommend registry cleaners in general, they tend to cause more problems.

One we do use and is safe is; http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Also, check your startup programs and reduce them to the minimum.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

StokesleyLad
StokesleyLad

Hi David, You could also try Task Manager. Open Task Manager and then the Start-up Tab. This will show you all the programs you have running at Start-up. Some things are required to run at start up but many are not, for example programs like Messenger/Skype/Office and the camera software just love to hog your PC. Just disable one at a time which allows you to revert if things don't go right. Your A/virus needs to run at Start up for example - the nature of the program should suggest if it is essential to run at Start-up. Other than the obvious essentials You should control when a program opens.
If you right click at the extreme left hand bottom of your screen it will open a menu which, amongst other things will give you easy access to the Task Manager.
I repeat - alter only one item at a time so that you may revert if required.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Do NOT NOT use any Existing Registry Cleaners when running Windows 8.

There are New Registry Entries in the O/S which are recognized as errors by old cleaners however they are not.

Also Windows 8 is still very "sloppy" in its coding and Clean installations so a machine will be full of errors even after doing a Clean Install.

Am working to understand the issues and will post more on the subject over time.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

David56

Thank you all for your help.Now I am using a very good registry cleaner.It has improved my PC performance a lot Better from previous.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

What is the name of the registry cleaner your using?
You might still have to look at your startup programs and disable the ones not needed.
Make and model of your system might help?
Was it always slow or did you install some apps then it slowed down? If that is the case then try uninstalling them

Posted 1 year ago

djhull3917

Hi David,

What is your CPU idling at? This may cause it to run slow, to fix this make sure all your drivers are updated, and install any updates.

A registry cleaner will always help though, may i recommend

ccleaner
CCleaner Link

Or

Windows Optimizer

I have personally used both and find them both outstanding in results, win optimizer has slightly nicer GUI making it easier to clean up, it also includes features such as autoclean, CachCLeaner and more this is great if you dont want to be bothered with all those horrible registry files !

It may also may be worth investing in a SSD of some sort, this wil defo speed it up,

using the default defrag tool will help however i believe CCleaner and WINoptimizer have one featured,

anyway i hope the problem is fixed, and enjoy windows 8 !

Posted 1 year ago

djhull3917

***Note anything above 10% idling is bad***

Posted 1 year ago

jhwalker
jhwalker

I have also had bad experiecne with Windows 8 (Release Preview). CPU idled at 50% all the time. Chipset drivers installed etc (Pentium) and it still won't work. Hope it won't be liek that when I upgrade to the full edition at christmas!

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

I had already linked to Ccleaner above.

Windows optimizer is software that should be banned and is not recommended here.

Be careful the use of the phrase 'registry cleaner'. There is no such thing and you should not rely solely on a 3rd party program to look after your machine.

In win 8 defrag is handled quite well so you don't need to invoke it.

The best housekeeping taking control of your PC, regularly looking at startups and disabling those that are not required.
Uninstall software you do not need or use.
Look at the OEM software supplied and uninstall 99.9% of it!

Especially power management, health monitors, gaves, included burning / DVD software.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

David56

I am using a very good and safe registry cleaner which has solved this problem to some extend.In my coming post i will tell you its performance improvement.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!