How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - My Windows 7 Firewall is turned off and can't turn it back on

(22 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Elf
  • Latest reply from Kelen
  • Topic Viewed 1268 times

Elf
Elf

I was using Auslogics bootspeed v.5 to "optimize the services" on my computer. I chose to optimize as a "Computer Without Networking" and when I hit ENTER, the notification flag from the taskbar tray came up. It said that my Windows FW needed to be turned on. I tried to do it but got this error.

I tried to revert this action by choosing Home Computer with Networking but Auslogics did not give me that option. Please help!!

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Elf, try doing a restore to a time before you used Auslogics.

Posted 1 year ago

Elf
Elf

I am not a fan of system restore because it hardly EVER works plus, I'm looking for not just the solution to this issue but also the source of the problem. I want to be able to fix it myself if it happens again :)

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Remove Auslogics and start again.

Posted 1 year ago

Elf
Elf

Auslogics is not even running and it's not set to autorun anyways. How would removing the software help???

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

It might find out if the installed software is keeping your firewall from not being able to turn on.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Auslogics is really naff software. Do not touch any of those sort of programs.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I thought that too but. reviews were okay.

Posted 1 year ago

Elf
Elf

I saw the reviews on Auslogics and looked solid to me. I never thought that it would give me problems... I will uninstall and will let you know in a bit. Bye for right now!

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Unfortunately, the problems it has caused, will not be resolved by uninstalling it.
So get back to us.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I think ronniesonora had the right answer for you.

Posted 1 year ago

Elf
Elf

I believe you're right warlock and, thank you, Ronnie! It's just that I've tried System Restore and I have only been successful once or twice out of countless attempts in the past. I just want to do what I'm doing wrong with that method then... Can someone tell me how to properly use it???

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

Startup tapping F8 and choose Repair, Let it go through its attempt to fix boot then choose the links toward the bottom for advanced repair. Choose System Restore. Try the one prior to the incident, if that fails try one further back.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

And in the future make images before you muck around with stuff like Auslogics. Programs like that should be banned from the web.

Posted 1 year ago

Elf
Elf

Hi Whs, that's excellent advice! @ Kelen I did a system restore before viewing your answer. I performed the restoration in safe mode but now, I get these 2 errors.
They show up separately and I don't know how to fix them. What do you guys think?

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Elf, click on Accessories-System tools-then System restore-when system restore opens click next-when that opens click on the box in the bottom left side that said (show more restore points) then chose a restore point before you used Auslogics and click on it--then click on next.

Posted 1 year ago

Elf
Elf

Ok.. I will try that right now...

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

Eww, hate ordinal errors... Hope restoring to older point helps. Otherwise You will need to Run sfc and see if that file is indeed missing/corrupt. After you run sfc, run this in the cmd.
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
That should make a nice log for you to check.
You may also try reinstalling the amd catalyst center/driver completely since that is the affected programs in the screenshot. (uninstall then reinstall)

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

victimperson

Windows firewall isn't that good anyways, I use ZoneAlarm firewall and Avast antivirus with superantispyware

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Windows Firewall (after XP) is excellent for the job it needs to do.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!