The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

My sons new game won't install

(10 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Shawna
  • Latest reply from Shawna
  • Topic Viewed 5005 times

Shawna

I'm not sure where to post this but I'm running Windows XP so I put it here-Mods please feel free to move it.

My son received Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix by EA games for christmas. Actually he received 2 coppies one from each set of grandparents. He was very clear about what he wanted! LOL

Anyway neither disc will install. I get prompts to enter the serial # and accept the terms of service and then nothing. There's a "please wait" prompt on the screen for about 30, the light on the DVD is flashing for that time. Then a black box flickers on the screen for a fraction of a second and then nothing. There's just my desktop, the light on the DVD isn't flashing, nothing else happens. Neither disc works but other games are running fine on our system.

According to this website http://www.systemrequirementsl.....rer/srtest I have the minimum requirements to play the game.

This is what it said about my system;

CPU
Minimum: Pentium 4 or comparable
You Have: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+ PASS
CPU Speed
Minimum: 1.6 GHz
You Have: 1.67 GHz Performance Rated at 2.00 GHz PASS
System RAM
Minimum: 256 MB
You Have: 511.5 MB PASS
Operating System
Minimum: Windows XP (32-bit version)/Vista
You Have: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600) PASS
Video Card
Minimum: 32 MB video card (128 MB for Vista) with Hardware T&L (NVIDIA GeForce2+ / ATI Radeon 7000+)
You Have: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (GeForce FX 5200) PASS
Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card Video RAM: Required - 32 MB , You have - 128.0 MB
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required - Yes , You have - Yes

Video Card Driver Version (DirectX)
Your driver version number is: 6.14.11.6921 FYI: Your video card driver version is provided for your information, but it is not part of this analysis. But proper video card driver versions are important to the proper operation of your product.
DirectX Version
Minimum: 9.0c (included)
You Have: 9.0c PASS
Sound Card
Minimum: Yes
You Have: Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller PASS
Sound Card Driver Version
Your driver version number is: 5.10.0.5050 FYI: Your sound card driver version is provided for your information, but it is not part of this analysis. But proper sound card driver versions are important to the proper operation of your product.
Free Disk Space
Minimum: 5 GB (EA Link version requires 9GB to download and install)
You Have: 40.5 GB PASS
DVD
Minimum: 8X speed DVD-ROM. This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some DVD-ROM, DVD-RW and virtual drives.
You Have: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4520B

I have all avaliable updates for XP as well as all updates for my video/audio drivers. I'm making sure there is nothing else running when I attempt to instal including background programs like my firewall.

Any help would be greatly aprieciated I've run out of ideas. And my son is frantic to play this game!

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Unfortunately I can't give straightforward advice about this. It's sounds to me like there may be a window that's hidden somewhere that's actually waiting for your response to continue installation. I've dealt with games that asked me to continue, but I had to shift some menus and click around until I actually found the box. The flickering black box you mentioned leads me to believe that this may be the case. I'm not quite sure what to do, though. You could try pressing Alt+Tab. Also, you could try opening the task manager, right clicking on the installation program, and selecting either "Switch to" or "bring to front." Let me know what happens.

Posted 6 years ago

Shawna

Thanks, I'll try that.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I know nothing about games, but is it possible this one has to be registered online for the installation (like certain other normal programs)?

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Well yes, some games require you to register online. However, I don't think a Harry Potter game would require that, and it probably wouldn't cause the problems she's having. A game that you are forced to register would probably be an online multiplayer game, and that's usually taken care of in-game.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Thanks for the info taybay

Posted 6 years ago

grhm
grhm

My experience with games that do this is that they will never install. I can't see any way to get around it, i'm afraid.
If you can look at the readme by opening the disk there may be help if the troubleshooting section of it. It isn't usually of any help though!

Posted 6 years ago

Shawna

taybay- I tried that. The task manager dosn't list any programs running after the "please wait" disapears.

Lighthouse-I did go to the website and redgistared the game just in case-no luck. The support there has been less than steller too, that's why I'm looking everywhere I can for some advice.

grhm-I was afraid of that. Try explaining to a 7yr old that his new game just isn't going to work!

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

You could try posting in EA's Game Help forum for the game at http://forums.ea.com/mboards/f.....rumID=4118

Posted 6 years ago

Shawna

Thanks jd2066, I had posted there aswell. I'm just casting a wide net to see if I can actually get an answer somwhere.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!