SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - My Printer Started to make noises... Curious if anyone might know what it is?

(21 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by gregoryshock125
  • Latest reply from gregoryshock125
  • Topic Viewed 1389 times

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

Whenever I turn on my printer, it goes through a series of checks. This printer has a paper feed scanner on top. I never use the paper feed scanner, because I haven't used it to send faxes. Just a few days ago, I turned on my printer and it started to make a strange noise. (see the link I provided)

Printer Noises

I traced the noise to the top paper feed scanner. I tried to use the paper feeder, and found out that it does still work! But why is it making these noises?

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi gregoryshock125 ,

It could be that someone has changed the selection tray/feeder so when it starts, it automatically tries to feed new paper through.

Or

It could be that someone has used it and there is a little paper caught in the rollers check it over to make sure no scrap paper has made its way in.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

Neither. My family doesn't know how to use the printer. It just started to make this noise all by it's self.

Posted 2 years ago

G41M

Can you give us the HP printer model? Sounds like something's broken or an obstruction in the paper feed area.

Posted 2 years ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

need one of these !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSK1D3bZhRs

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Could be that some sort of insect has got in there, and is partially blocking the feed. Best thing is to open up the printer and have a good look.
I have seen this happen before.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

The Printer is a HP Photosmart Premium Fax C309 series. The noise is getting worse! It's in the top lid, paper feed. I believe this paper feed is only used for scanning documents. I've never used it before. But it always activates when you first turn the printer on. The other day I decided to try it out. I figured since it is making noises, that perhaps it wouldn't work. Odd thing is, it did work. Just made noises. I agree with you, it does sound like something got into it. It sounds like that whatever it is, is rubbing against the gears. I'd guess that if it was a bug, the bug would be destroyed by now. Anyways, there is a lid that you can open. But you can't see anything.

The Top of the Printer (Where the noise is coming from)

Opening the Lid (Can't see anything)

From the Bottom side. (Scanner Lid up)

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Take the casing off.

Posted 2 years ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

Call HP. They will assist you in doing a few tests on your device. If you/they can't make the problem go away and it is still under warranty they will send a replacement or an empty box to send the unit for repair. They will pay for the shipping.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Check to make sure the gears/cams/cogs aren't slipping/grinding, check them for general wear and tear.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

GuiltySpark - you can't get inside to check any of that stuff.

Lighthouse - how do you take the casing off? There is no screws.

Afuhnk - I will see if I can find their phone number. I've never used HPs service. Is it any good?

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Is it still under warranty ?

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

I think it might be 3 years old now. No.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Greg, I was talking about checking the cogs you can see in picture 2, just to make sure they're not loose/worn down.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Can't find a service manual for it. But the casing is clipped together (if there are no screws). Could be a pain to open, and you may cause some minor damage to the casing.
Sometimes they hide the screws under the rubber feet.

Posted 2 years ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

Is HP service good? It always depends on who you end up talking to and how patient and competent they are.

As a geek of course we want to fix stuff ourselves and I understand your desire to do so, but if you cannot figure it out and if the device stops working, don't bother paying to repair it (since it's no longer under warranty). It will more than likely cost more to fix than to buy a new one.

Posted 2 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Hi. Have you tried doing a factory reset on it?

Try to switch it on with the scanner lid raised. Usually the printer can be tricked into thinking the lid is closed by finding the sensor and activating it. This should give you a better idea of where the sound is coming from.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Some printers are rather hard to work on mainly because they may have lid and case switches that need to be made before the printer will work.
If you don't know where these are and how to jump them out then all you will be doing is opening the case to look at a bunch of "Stuff".
When removing the case some parts of the cases are held together with molded clips and again if you don't know how to remove you will end up cracking or breaking something.
I agree with afuhnk. Get a price for repairing vs. the cost of a replacement and then you can make a better decision.

Posted 2 years ago

G41M

The noise might also be coming from the scanner assembly, you might like to check this out. This initializes too at power up and do produce such sound when its gears are stuck/broken. Try to scan something just to check that out.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

I've done enough tests to know where the noise is coming from. I've run all three parts separately. Scanner works with out noises, The main printer parts still work just fine (no noises) Just the top unit makes noises. and it doesn't matter if you have the scanner cover up or down.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!