The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

My PC has stopped working

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Strawbs
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 357 times

Strawbs

I was on my computer today for a couple hours, which is maybe 4-5 months old and it shut off unexpectedly. When I turned it back on, it asked if I wanted to run in safe mode but I chose to run normally, and everything seemed to be working fine for about 15-20 minutes until it shut off again. I then tried turning my computer back on, but nothing happened aside from the light turning on. I went to do something else, came back a couple hours later and it started up fine, but after 20 minutes or so it shut off again and I haven't been able to turn it on since. I thought it may have had something to do with the power bar I it connected to, but using a different one and trying other outlets didn't work. While trying different outlets I also noticed that the case fans weren't running even when the power light was on, and am not sure about the CPU fan. I had a similar problem with an older PC a few years ago which was due to the power supply being dead, although my computer still has power when I try turning it on, and this PC is fairly new and I wouldn't think it would die so quickly. I'd rather not have to take it in somewhere to get it looked at, as it costs about $80 or more just to find out what the problem is, but I'm also worried about frying the CPU or the MB since the fans don't seem to be working.

Thanks for any help.

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil
Superevil

If it's only 4-5 months old you should call the manufacturer instead of taking it to a repair shop.

Posted 1 year ago

Strawbs

It seems to be working again, although I've only been on for 20 minutes or so. The fans are running however, including the CPU fan, and temps are all fine. This was a self built PC so I wouldn't be able to call a manufacturer, but this is the first time I've ever ran into problems with it. As of now it's working normally, except it doesn't shut down properly, I have to manually hold down the power button for it to shut down which can't be good for my PC.

Posted 1 year ago

vaibhavsingh009

you have to take your PC to manufacturer because it is in warranty period.

Posted 1 year ago

marks100
marks100

it;s 4/5 months what difference is another month plus if there is anything going (i suspect a faulty PSU it will be done )

mark

Posted 1 year ago

jistupka
jistupka

manufacturer can not help you, even if it would be! Try to reinstall the system, if it does not help turning to the more experienced geek :)

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

If it's not shutting down correctly then suspect something corrupt with the O/S.
Have you run chkdsk or sfc /scannow. If there is a problem one of these might fix it.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!