SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - My Local Disk (C:) is Blood Red!!

(32 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by richmondreb
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1665 times

richmondreb

Hi Gang,

Not completely sure what I did but, the C drive has 3.46 GB free of 117 GB.
The only thing I can think of is I tried to put a copy of something on the desktop
that's on the Toshiba EXT (G:) and in doing so, the whole G: drive started moving.
Which is 187 GB.............. I'm only assuming now!!!!!!!!!!!!
I tried to do a System Restore to an earlier date which turned out to be a no go and
had to restore it back to today. Could someone Pleeeeeease tell me how to get this
straighten out and do so in MAJOR LAYMAN TERM!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Robin

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Delete everything you copied except the files you actually wanted to copy over to Desktop. But before you delete check the external to make sure everything is still on that drive, that you didn't cut & paste rather than copy & paste.

System Restore only puts your system & settings back to an earlier time, it does nothing to your data.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Run this program. It will tell you exactly what is where: http://windirstat.info/

In addition, run this command in elevated command prompt:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Report what numbers you see behind ALLOCATED and MAXIMUM

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

ANOTHER THOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before I do anything;
I just remembered that I put YTD on my computer and have several Videos on it.
Do you think that might be causing the problem??

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You are guessing. Do what I proposed and then we'll have some data to go by.

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

@ whs,

I pulled up the link you gave me and due to the fact I know "VERY LITTLE" about computers,
I had no idea as to what I was suppose to do! Not sure what your asking me to do next either.
Pleeeeeeeeease advise.

Thanks,
Robin

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

1. Download and install the WinDirStat program from the link I gave you. Then open the program and highlight the OS(C) - just click on it. Then click OK and wait until the fancy colored picture appears.

In the picture, click on all the big chunks and make a list of those. Post those here.

2. Press Start and click on All Programs. Go to Accessories and find Command Prompt. Right click on Command Prompt and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. A small black Window will open. Copy this command and Paste it into this black window:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Look for C (like on my picture) and for Allocated and Maximum. Write those numbers down and post them here. Note: my cmd window is not black but blue because I have changed the color.

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

@ whs,
I know your getting tired of me asking dumb questions but, which do I download??

WinDirStat 1.1.2 from DownloadBestSoft or WinDirStat 1.1.2 from SourceForge.net

Hopefully, after you tell me, I'll be able to take it from there................ :-(

Thanks,
Robin

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

It really makes no difference, but Sourceforge.net is always a good site to download from.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You have to read the posts. I gave you the link above. But here it is again: http://windirstat.info/

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

@ whs,

I was going to try and post a picture like you did but, needless to say, I screwed that up and had to run again.
This is what the 2 big chunks said on that run.

PERCENTAGE SIZE ITEMS FILES SUBDIRS LAST CHANGED

MY COMPUTER 0:54 s 109.0 GB 189,297 163,027 26,270 12/31/2049 8:00:0

(C:) 92.4% 100.6 GB 169,280 144,782 24,478 12/31/2049 8:00:0

I hope you can tell me something from this, also in step 2, I'm unable to copy the Command Prompt.
If I could, when you tell me to paste into this black window:
Do you mean, vssadmin list shadowstorage?? Please advise

Thanks,
Robin

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

1. Those nums you posted don't tell me very much. Better post a picture of the WinDirStat. Here is how: http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=8

2. Yes, the command is VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWSORAGE. When you see the results, right click on the little black window and click on 'Select All'. Then right click again on the window. That puts the content on the clipboard and you can paste it here into your reply.

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

@ whs,
I have the HTG, I just can't seem to get the results uploaded. I tried to copy and paste on Word but,
that doesn't work so, HOW can I post a picture of the WinDirStat! I'll be bald by the time this is solved.......... :-)

Please advise,
Robin

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You have to upload the picture to Photobucket and copy/paste the IMG code. Alternatively you can use Image Shack (there you don't have to register) and copy/paste the 'Forum Code'.

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

@ whs,
I must not be making myself clear. I'm unable to upload a picture as there is no picture on my desktop to upload.
How can I get the results in a form to upload?? Remember, I don't know anything about computers or the lingo
and I need instructions given to me in "MAJOR LAYMAN TERMS"! Sorry for the inconvenience.

Robin

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

OK. I did not know we had to start there. OK - Start > All Programs > Accessories > Snippind Tool. First right click on the snipping tool and pin it to the start menu or the taskbar so that it is handy. Then open the snipping tool and take a snip (of the whole screen) by holding the left clicker down and moving the mouse from top left to bottom right. Then release the clicker.

Now click on 'File' of the small Snipping tool control window and 'Save as" that snip to wherever you like. Now you have a picture.

And what about the shadowstorage. That you can copy/paste if you follow my instructions from above.

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

@ whs,
Woo Hoo............. I've got pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've got them downloaded, just can't get them posted.
I've been checking out the instructions that you sent me and the ones I got a while back (had success with 1 time)
but, I can't seem to get them posted. Please advise............... Boy, I'm gonna be an expert when this is all said
and done.............. LOL

Thanks,
Robin

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Try this,
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=8

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

OMG!!
I think I figured it out allllllllll by myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

@ Lighthouse,
Thanks but, whs already supplied me with that link and as you can see, I kept messing with it
and found the trick. I'm starting to get good................ LOL

Robin

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.