SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

My HP Officejet 6500 E709 Wireless All-in-One series will not scan.

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cestmoi312
  • Latest reply from cestmoi312
  • Topic Viewed 1201 times

cestmoi312

It will print, copy and fax, but not scan.

When opening the Digital Imaging Monitor, the window shows 'scanner error' and further states,

The HP imaging device was not found.
Try the following steps and retry scanning after each.
Check power cords/cables and connections, insure device is powered on.
Reboot computer
Uninstall and reinstall device.
Reinstall HP Photosmart software that came with device.

Every step was followed except the last, (couldn't find that disk), with no success.

Additionally, I have accessed every diagnostic tool/troubleshooter, performed every task required,(with successful results), indicated after each fix, but alas, the problem still exists.

Even ran a Wireless Network Test Report that says 'No Problems Found'. Congratulations on the successful setup of your wireless printer.

HA!!!

Other messages on the HP Solution Center state:

Printer cannot be contacted
Printer is disconnected.

How can this be when I can copy, print and fax?

Oh, one other thing. Under 'extended error info', this came up:

8,[1,0, - 2147221502)]

Whatever that means.

I'm at my wits end.

Any feedback pointing me to remedies I have not yet tried would be greatly appreciated.

If something is suggested that I've already unsuccesfully tried, I'll simply reply:

"Tried That"

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

I have an HP Photosmart C4380 Wi-Fi All-In-One. Printer will only scan to the only PC which is connected with USB, the other PCs connected via Wi-Fi won't have that option. Initially, I would recommend the following:

1. Uninstall all the HP Photosmart software, HP Solution Center, drivers and so on. You should even restart your PC and printer after this.

2. Download HP Officejet Basic Print and Scan Driver. This contains only the basic driver (for my Photosmart this is a bit different, I need to download the full install, then install only the driver).

3. Install the driver and configure your printer.

For scanning to image formats, you can use Paint, Paint.NET, GIMP, Photoshop, or other software. Usually in File - Acquire/Import - From Scanner or Camera or similar. You can combine then these images in PDF with other programs if you want.

Make sure you set a fixed IP address for your printer in your router's DHCP configuration. This will ensure that the printer will be found after configuring it on network computers. I had problems in the past when I configured the printer on a network computer, then at another time it's local IP changed, and the computer would not find the printer until it was removed and added again.

Tell me how this works for you.

Posted 1 year ago

cestmoi312

Hi Ruja

Ran the HP Scan and Print Doctor, and in the process wound up connecting the printer to the PC via USB cable and the scanner was detected, connected and was able to scan,
Disconnected the USB and scanning was no longer possible.
Appears I have a wi-fi issue to deal with, so before I get into uninstalls and re-installs, I did some checking.

I have Piriform Speccy installed on my PC and it tells me all the information about my operating systems.

Regarding your suggestion about IP Addresses,if the IP Address of the printer, (which is) 192.168.1.2 should be the same as the DHCP Server, (which is) 192.168.1.1
Then clearly they are different, and if needed to be changed, the question is, how and which one do I change?

Have to run some errands so I'll check back later for further feedback.

Thank you.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

I just discovered I can scan over Wi-Fi with my Ubuntu (by running "hp-setup -i" in Terminal to install the printer, make sure it is not already installed). I don't know why I could not scan over Wi-Fi in Windows, maybe I will try to get it working a bit later, I may have the same problem you have.

Anyways, about IP addresses, each device (including your router) must have a different local IP address. You router is probably fixed to 192.168.1.1, and other devices in your network start at 192.168.1.2, then 192.168.1.3 and so on. The problem is that if you shut down your devices and power them on again, they may end with different addresses (although this may only happen when you restart your router too). For instance your printer is now 192.168.1.2, but at a later time it can be 192.168.1.4. Windows may not be able to find the printer in the network until you remove/add it again.

To avoid this I use DHCP reservation with my Linksys router. Automatic DHCP assigns local IP addresses automatically, but following these reservation rules, which tie a device (its MAC address) with a local IP address that is reserved. That means that in my network, my printer is always 192.168.1.20 for instance, and even if it is not turned on, no other device can use this local IP address. Here is some info on how to do this on a Linksys router: http://homekb.cisco.com/Cisco2.....onverted=0

You may not need to do this, but I think it is good to have this in consideration and know about it.

Posted 1 year ago

cestmoi312

Ruja,

Thanks for your reply, but you're speaking above my pay grade, so I'll need to digest your feedback and get back to you tomorrow.
I'm sure I'll need further and more explicit instructions.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Don't worry about this DHCP thing for now, just come back here if, in the future, you have the problem I described. Maybe you don't ever have it!

I'll try to see if I can scan via Wi-Fi in windows (as I discovered I can do that in Linux) and find a solution to your scaning problem. I still recommend you remove all software by HP and install that basic driver for the moment. All the software in the CD you had can be downloaded from that webpage too, so don't worry about that.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

I just uninstalled my HP Photosmart C4380 (I was using the default, generic Windows 7 driver) and installed the corresponding HP Basic Driver, as I recommended you, with no extra HP software. Now I am able to scan via Wi-Fi in Windows too, using Paint, Paint.NET, GIMP, Windows Fax and Scan, or any other program that allows scanning.

Posted 1 year ago

cestmoi312

Ruja

Problems still continue.

Leaving for Florida until April, so I'll let things sit for now.

Will explore fixes when I return.

Many thanks again.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!