The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

My First Ever PC Build

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Khesh
  • Latest reply from ronniesonora
  • Topic Viewed 588 times

Khesh

Hey guys, this is the first time I'm building my very own computer...I needed something for gaming, and building my own seems like quite the "Rite of Passage" for being a true PC gamer. However, being new to this I'm quite literally flipping out over this. Obviously, I do not want to screw anything up.

Here is the build I've picked out: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/L31O

Do you guys think that's all going to work well together? I don't want to be "bottlenecking" the higher-end parts. The PC is going to cost over $1500, so screwing up could be a major disaster for me.

My biggest worry is knowing which cables connect where. (I heard that SSDs have to be connected to SATA3? and HHD should be SATA6?...maybe vice versa...) I bought a modular PSU, so that should help I'm sure. Any tips/guides/suggestions from you guys would be great.

Also, should I buy the "De-magnetized" tools for $30, or is it really not a big deal to use normal screw drivers? Don't want to screw up an expensive component on my first build...

And do I need extender cables or anything like that? If I don't have to spend any more money that would be great...but if I practically need it, then I might as well shell out some more cash.

Anything else you guys can think of that would help a First-Timer like myself would be extremely helpful...can hardly sleep thinking about this build

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

New Intel 1150 Haswell CPUs and MBs are to be released in late May or early June so I recommend NOT to Build anything as everything is out-of-date now. Would be a Big Mistake to waste $1500 when the new CPUs are just around the corner.

Posted 1 year ago

Khesh

But how much more are the Haswell CPUs/MoBos going to cost? If they cost an extra $100 each then it seems a waste. Doesn't Intel usually only increase the performance by like 10% each time?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

They will probably introduce the new CPUs and MBs at just a little bit more than existing price is now just to get "Suckers" to purchase the last of the inventory. 10% -15% performance gain is 10% - 15% Better no matter how you slice it. The old 1155 Stuff is in its' Third generation now so the time for change has come. Don't be the "Goat" and purchase old inventory just because you are excited.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

The other side of the coin is that Intel had a lot of problems in the past when they launched a new product line. So you have the choice of going with current proven bits or be part of their guinea pigs to test their new stuff.

I will rebuild a desktop in Mai and I will use Ivy Bridge.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Never bought a de-magnitized tool. Never used a grounding strap. Never had a problem. Sounds like a sucker offer.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

If anything, you want a Magnetized Screw Driver to hold the screws on the end while your search for holes in tight or blind places.

Try mounting a Cooler on a MB without a Magnetized screw driver with screws so small to can barely see them.

I Magnetize every screw driver I use before Building by just running a magnet down it several times.

@whs, you waste your money with old Ivy Bridge Build. You may have plenty being retired but most youngsters don't have money to spare for Building old hardware.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You'll need a couple of Sata cables. But they cost pennies. And why Windows 8. You have no touchscreen. Windows 7 is much better for a normal desktop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6812123110

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ya, probably Windows 7 is better until Windows 9 is released.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Rick, I don't need the last bleeding edge technology. In this system here I have an i7 2600 Sandy Bridge and I am completely happy with it. I don't want to be Intels guinea pig.

PS: Magnetized screwdrivers are really handy with the itty bitty screws.

Posted 1 year ago

TimTheTechie

Windows 8 is an OS that is meant for tablets. The only reason they released it for desktops is for the money. The only people who would be dumb enough to pay money for an "upgrade" from Windows 7 to Windows 8, either own a touchscreen, are HUGE Windows fanboys, or are just not informed. Don't be the third one and if you want to get a good gaming desktop, don't get Windows 8. Best of luck.
----------------------------------------------------
Timothy
Techie/Gamer

edit by mod- removed link in sig, not allowed.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ya that's why I gave the TIP about using Magnetized screw drivers. :) :)

This is the OP's First Build so I want him to be aware of what's coming in just a few short months.

As a Builder, I feel I would be remiss if I wasn't honest with all the new Builders and try to help them get the most for their money when I know want's coming down the road.

Most First Time Builders don't have a clue as to the Time Line of the hardware manufactures.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Khesh, I used i5-3570K and Asrock Extreme 6 in my build and 3 or 4 sata cables came with the mother board. Your memory will work but you will need to change the setting in the bios. The default will be DDR3-1600 with a timing of 9-9-9-24. http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6820145345
If you use the DDR3-1866 make sure you check your bios for updates first before changing the setting, because it will set your bios back to default memory.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!