The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - My first build Please tell me what you think

(60 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by SkittlesTheCat2012
  • Latest reply from SkittlesTheCat2012
  • Topic Viewed 2999 times

SkittlesTheCat2012

Well i recently bought a nice laptop but cant play games on it do to the graphics card. So i decided to build me a gameing desktop. This is my first build so any feed back would help. I dont really have but $1000 after tax to spend so yeah.

CPU - Intel i5-3570k --- $189.99
Motherboard - ASROCK Z77 Extreme4 --- $84.99
Ram - Corsaie 8gb 2x4 D3 1600 DIMM CL9 --- $57.99
Hard Drive - HITACHIOE Hit 3.5 500GB 7200 SATA --- $64.99
Power Supply - OCZTECH 750W ZT FULLYMOD PSU 80BR -- Probably will change this out dont know what to get. But i know this one has bad reviews. -- $99.99
Case - Thermalta Commander MT ATX Case Black --- $47.99
Optical Drive - Samseom SAM 22x SATA DVD Burner --- $15.99
Video Card - Nvidia GTX 560 Ti 1gb PCIE DDH --- $229.99
Monitor AOC 23" LED --- $139.99

I ended up going a over my budget by $117 after tax so if you can help me cut this down a bit so its not aboue $1000. It would help but i still want something that can handle most games at high settings with out a problem. And of course im going to add some fans and a wireless card to it of course but thats cheap $10 20$ a piece.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Skittles,

Welcome to HTG.

Please post a link to your shopping website so we can compare items.

Is it newegg.com ??

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

No i went to micro center it has been years since i played pc games. So i dont know what todays newest games require to play on high and be smooth. I manly play FPS games some third person shooters as well like Hard reset or Hydrophobia. so on and so on maybe some call of dudty even though i think its been over done after MW2

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Skittles,

Ok I have the website now.

http://www.microcenter.com/index.html

Unfortunately it will be tomorrow before I can suggest some items as I to leave for the evening.

Maybe some of the others will jump in and help you out until I can get back. :)

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

Any ideas will help plaining on buying it friday but i need to lose around $50 = $100 on my build or i will have to wait like 2 weeks and im INPATIENT LOL Just need it to run any game at high setting with out lagging or well most any game

Posted 2 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

Quick Question how easy or hard is it to build and then set up a pc i mean i have some knowledge of putting it togeather but iu never set one up once its togeather. i know how to put OS on it and everything but is there anything else i need to do to make sure it runs good

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Skittles,

BEFORE ordering any parts for a BUILD, the FIRST thing to do is download and READ the Product Manual from the Vendor's Website. (Upper Left Hand Corner of the Page)

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overv.....20Extreme4

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

oh really helpful now that i kinda starting to understand it a bit more lol at first i was like huh. But it should be just what i need to get this thing running.
So do you think this setup will be able to run most games on high settings or is this not good enough :/

Posted 2 years ago

bobocheez

Hi Skittles, raphoenix suggested I look into your build since we have the same budget. You can check out my build here: http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=4

If you want to reduce your cost, get a cheaper case. I build a PC about 5 years back and spent about $80 on the thing and that feeling of newness goes away very quickly. You could prob get rid of the DVD burners as well.

By the way, I looked on the microcenter website and it looks like the processor doesn't come with any cooling. That's a big one you don't want to overlook. If you post the links to the exact parts you're ordering maybe we can take a closer look.

Your current video card will play games that are out now just fine, but the next gen consoles (ps4, xbox720) are gonna come out in the next year or 2 so the games are going to be made with higher specs which will affect the new PC games as well. Maybe look into a 2gb card.

As far as help, I think we both are unsure of the power supply. I think I'll go with this one for my build:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6817182071

From what I've read so far, you most likely only need 500W to power your system at full capacity, unless you're planning on adding more things down the road. Take into consideration the efficiency as well, so a 600W one will probably fit your needs.

An expert opinion would be great though.

Cheers

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

650W PSU Good.

If you want to future proof, 750W would be great but is more expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6817139006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6817139010

Posted 2 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

I just noticed that the CPU does not come with a cooling fan as well. Do I really need one? Also this build only needs to last a year. And for the power supply would a 650 corsai or how ever u spell it be enough? I know u shouldnt ever use 100% of ur power. Sorry for all the question it's just that I'm going to micro center tomorrow to buy all the parts. And I just want to be certain I'm not lacking any parts to play most games on high settings. Also what's a good wireless card to buy? I will try and post links to parts when I get off work around 2:30 central time thx again for all the help

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Skittles,

YES the system MUST have a CPU Fan or cooler.

Your Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor.

http://www.microcenter.com/sin.....id=0388577

Let's get all this straighten out when you get off work. :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

Ok finally off work so im glad u managed to fine it i guess i was looking at wrong one so it turns out my cpu does come with a fan cooler yay. I was thinking and i have a old dell about 10 years or maybe less old. it has fans and opctical drive in it. could i use those in my build to save my self $30 $40 ?? its just what came with it nothing fancy its just old lol was not sure if it would work in a newer system.. Tommorrows the big day but i wont have a monitor due to funds i think i could find a old one to use in mean time thats not to bad just not 1080p or hd

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Skittles,

The old optical drive has most likely PATA (IDE) Connector that will not work with your build.

The video Card you picked is PCIe 2.0 so needs to be changed, etc......

Maybe Best since your budget is so tight that you go Mico Center in person and let sales folks help you.

What do you think ??

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

Links to the parts im go grab after work so tonight is the last night to decide LOL. As i am very impatient haha

CPU

Mother board. Note i did get a $50 discount when bundled with the CPU i5 3570k

PSU. Not sure if this is enough should be i hope. I dont plan on upgrading anything or OC

Optical drive. Like i said i have one from my old dell but not sure if it would work or not soe let me know :)

Monitor which i will buy in 2 weeks since i do have one from a dell my mom bought about 6 months ago its nothing fancy just ur standard thin monitor. But it will work till i can buy this one. :)

Video card-- M main concern. Like i said i dont know what the new games need now in order to run on high setting with no problem.

The rest of the parts are pretty much straight forward like ram 8GB and extra fan or two along with a wireless card as i wont be doing much online gameing. i prefure a good story playing in campaign not the online experiance like i used to just more about a good story to me. Also the case i will prolly just look around mite get one a bit cheaper that has good airflow and fans along with pleanty of room.

Posted 2 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

Thats what i did i went to micro center and thats what they said i should get on my budget so my video cards GTX 560 ti wont work O_O grr they said it would

ok so how about this as a motherboard ? dont know if it good was a quick search lol

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Skittles,

The 560 ti PCIe 2.0 Video Card you picked out should work fine.

The other MB you linked to is a Rip Off.

Here is how to compare Asrock Motherboards and features.
Check Mark models and click on Compare button at bottom of page.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/compare.asp

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

Im so confused haha so do i need a diff mother board or no @_@ lol

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Best talk with Sales Folks in person at Micro Center so they can show you different choices within your budget. :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

k just a lil worried now since they said a ocz power supply is good and it has bad review across the bored for thermal sensors being bad and now they say a motherboard which looks like it has no pcie2 slot can take a pcie2 video card... lol guess ur right go back and talk to them more before u buyem tommorrow build should be fun sounds fun at least that is if i dont mess it all up lol :)

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.