How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

My first build

(12 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by brad
  • Latest reply from brad
  • Topic Viewed 1524 times

brad
brad

Tell me what ya'll think. Any feedback is appreciated.

Motherboard:

EVGA LGA 775 nForce 780i SLI ATX
Processor:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
Video cards:

XFX 9600 GT( two of them in SLI )
Power supply:

Thermaltake W0116RU 750W
Case:

Thermaltake Armor case
Memory:

OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB
Hard drive:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s ( 3 of them in RAID 5)
Sound card:

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1
Floppy drive

SONY Black 1.44MB External USB Floppy Drive

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Brad, howdy! What do you plan to use this system for? The Q6600 is fairly old these days. You should look at a newer CPU on 45 nm with a higher clock speed and more L2. A Q9400, Q9550, or whatever step up fits your budget. Also, what is the rated speed of those Reapers? You need to make sure that they match the motherboard in speed and technology (DDR2 vs DDR3, etc.) and you want the lowest latency you can get without breaking the bank.

Posted 5 years ago

brad
brad

Mostly gaming but i figured i could use it for almost everything else as well. The budget is not really an option although i would rather not spend a grand on a CPU so the Q9550 fits perfect. The rated speed is DDR2 800 which fits perfect with the motherboard. Thanks for input.

Posted 5 years ago

brad
brad

Timing is 4-4-4-15.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

A CAS latency of 4 (first number) with DDR2 800 is pretty good. The others are of lesser importance.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

I would certainly think about getting some other graphics cards it you want to be gaming. Even with a SLI setup and the overclocked chip (XFX) the 9600 GT is more of a mid-range card!! SLI won´t mean double the FPS, depending on the game you will get between 10-30 % more power. Have a look at this, I´m not saying they´re bad but if money is not an issue then you should maybe think about getting one 260 Core 216 or a 280 from Nvidia.

Posted 5 years ago

brad
brad

@whs: Thanks for telling me that. Learn something new everyday

@madmacs: Thanks for the information. I did not know that the 9600 GT was more mid-range, but thanks to you I can adjust.
I am now going with your advice and getting a GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 ( would it be a problem to get two even if its only going to increase the FPS between 10-30%?) Also does this mean that i should upgrade my memory to DDR3?Link

Posted 5 years ago

brad
brad

Sorry for the mess-up. The link is for the GPU.

Posted 5 years ago

SSSammy

im gonna beat rapheonix to it and be the first in this post to say

if money isnt an issue you should really look into getting a intel i7 processor as well as an intel x58 chipset motherboard

the intel i7 920 should be around the same price as a 9550. The x58 motherboards are a bit pricy, my suggestion would be to stick with one videocard and use the money saved to pay for the motherboard. The benchmarks for the intel i7 920 are only slightly higher than q9550 but the x58 motherboards will be much better for future upgrading. plus the x58 takes up to 6 sticks of ram! and up to 3 videocards!

Posted 5 years ago

brad
brad

Thank you for all the help SSSammy. With all this my rig should turn out pretty well.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Hi brad, have a look at this thread for more information on i7 technology and everything needed. There are a couple of good links there.

Posted 5 years ago

brad
brad

Thanks for the thread madmacs. It should come in handy.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!