How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - my favorites folder is suddenly EMPTY

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by ScrapKat
  • Latest reply from jallen4767
  • Topic Viewed 7933 times

ScrapKat

I sooooooooooooo hope you can help me!

I use Windows Vista and IE. I went to my star icon in the upper left of my IE window for my favorites drop down menu and suddenly it is BLANK. When I go to c:/users/kathleen/favorites folder, that shows empty too. I'm the only user on this computer. Just before this happened, I was annoyed at the users folder always being fully expanded everytime I use the windows explore function and I thought marking the 'hidden' box (I right-clicked on the users folder and hit properties and checked the hidden box under attributes) would do the trick. The next time I went to my favroties, nothing. I undid the hidden thing and that didn't work. The shortcuts aren't in my recycle bin either. And I never thought to save my favorites anywhere.

I tried doing a system restore and that didn't do the trick.

Anything I can do? Why didn't the system restore bring it back? Where the HECK did my fave's go and how can I get them back?

Thanks in advance!

Posted 5 years ago

ScrapKat

Ok, one more thing to note that just happened. I tried to add a folder called "Reference" to my favorites. I got a message saying "this destination already contains a folder named Reference" and "do you still want to merge this folder". I did indeed have a folder named "Reference" in my old favorites. But where is it?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

ScrapKat, hello. Try the shell shortcut to Favorites. Type Win+R to open a Run box, then enter "shell:favorites". This will open an Explorer window pointing to where Windows thinks your Favorites folder is. In the location bar of the Explorer window, it will list the path to the folder. Let me know what you find and we'll proceed from there.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

If nothing else works, download and run Shadow Explorer. Navigate to your oldest shadow (restore point) on the list, then find Favorites in Users > your name. Right click on it and "Export" it to a folder in your system. If that works, you can try the same on a more recent shadow if you need to find one that is more up-to-date.

Posted 5 years ago

ScrapKat

Thanks Scott. When I do that it points me to my the kathleen/favorites folder under my desktop. But all that shows is the three favorites I added since I lost everything. None of the old stuff is in there.

whs, thank you for that suggestion too. I will go check out that link. I've never heard of Shadow Explorer before...

Posted 5 years ago

ScrapKat

whs, OMG that worked. Quick, free, and easy.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooou!!!!!!

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I am glad you are back in business. Shadow Explorer is a useful program for recovering lost stuff. It was written by some friend in Switzerland.

Posted 5 years ago

jallen4767

I just used this link and it worked!

My Favorites was pointing to my jump drive from when I backed them up earlier---how embarassing!! But I am SO grateful to have them back! I called a toll free number on Microsoft's IE7 site that say phone support would be free until March 2009 and then when I called they said that was wrong, it was over and I'd have to pay for support! OR reinstall my entire OS----I told him THAT was why my NEXT computer will be a MAC!!!!! So this saved me a TON of grief!

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/usershellfolders.htm

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.