SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

My computer slows down during gameplay randomly, then resumes normal speed.

(16 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by nathon210
  • Latest reply from Jacob3212000
  • Topic Viewed 14048 times

nathon210

Okay, so I recently built a new computer. I have 4 gigabytes of RAM, a duel core 3ghz processor, a 1 gig ram video card, a 300gig hard drive(IDE) (from my old computer), and a lightscribe dvd drive (SATA). The problem that I'm having, now that I've set up my computer, is that whenever I run a PC game from it's disk, it will suddenly slow down during gameplay, and the audio will keep going but it's slow and kinda skippy.(I've tried games that don't use a disk, like online games using a client, and they seem to work just fine). I can't figure out what's wrong with the computer, when it's not slowing down, the graphics and gameplay are beautiful and smooth. I'll note that it seems to slow down more on newer games (like C&C 3: Tiberium Wars or The Sims 2) than older games (like Giants: Citizen Kabuto). And, in case it's significant, my hard drive failed recently due to a problem with the boot sector that I couldn't fix with the windows recovery disk. It's working now, and I'm running Vista and such, no problems so far other than this game-lagging or whatever. Help?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

You can run Process Explorer during the game (minimized) and when the slowdown occurs, see whether something is chewing up the CPU. But from what you say, it can also be some high traffic on the disk. This you could check with the Computer Management > System Tools > Reliability and Performance > Disk.

Posted 6 years ago

nathon210

Ok, I'll try that, I'll post what happens.

Posted 6 years ago

nathon210

Posted 6 years ago

nathon210

Okay, I caught one of the "slow downs", this is the graph from the program you pointed me to.

Posted 6 years ago

nathon210

Here are two more "slow downs".

Posted 6 years ago

nathon210

What should I look for with the "Reliability and Performance > Disk" tool?

Posted 6 years ago

nathon210

Alright, I did a couple tests, I determined that the Disk Drive is not the issue. I suspect that the old hard drive may be the problem, since it's the only part that isn't basically brand new. Ideas?

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

if i was you i would go and get a sata hdd if you mother board will support it as it should since you say that everything is new because the transfer rates are a bit higher and what video card do you have for your pc?

if you could maybe post up what you see when you goto run then type "dxdiag" without the quotes it may help me see more about you pc

Posted 6 years ago

nathon210

Well, I am using a ATI Radeon HD 3850 video card, brand new like most of my parts. In fact, the only parts that aren't new are the case, floppy drive and hard drive. Anyway, Yes, my Motherboard will support a SATA hard drive, but before I go out and spend a hundred or so dollars to get a new one, I'd like to track down the source of my problem.

Lastly, Here are two screenshots from the "dxdiag" running:

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ok when you are playing games do you have other things running in the background? and do you use an anti-virus and which one do you use if you have one? depending on which one you are using it may be doing scans and eating up some of you resources (ram/cpu). do you have any way of seeing what the temps are for your pc? you may be getting too hot which could be slowing some stuff down.

you should maybe do a virus scan and update you definitions because a virus could make your computer seem to have random slow downs.

seeing as these are a lot of suggestions and such it is because there can be a lot of things that can be slowing you down.

Posted 6 years ago

nathon210

Okay, so I generally don't have stuff running in the background, I haven't installed anit-virus software yet other than windows defender (though I don't think that really counts), I don't really know about cpu temp, but the heat sink that came with the cpu looks pretty diobolical, lots of metal, copper pipes, and the fan on top of those.

Well, it might be a virus, but I kinda doubt it, I try to avoid dangerous websites, and I have adblock plus on my firefox to avoid viruses embedded in images.

Posted 6 years ago

nathon210

Alright, I restarted my computer (the windows option, not a cold-boot), I entered the setup thing that you press the delete key to enter, and my CPU was averaging about 125 degrees (F).

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

well a good temp would be around 90-100 (F) but you are still not too bad at the temp right now at least you are not over heating. you may want to get a anti-virus and do a scan with it to check if you have any viruses because that might be your best bet.

Here are some good links to some reviews of free anti-viruses:

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mys.....e-edition/

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mys.....s-clamwin/

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mys.....nti-virus/

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mys.....l-edition/

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mys.....e-edition/

Posted 6 years ago

nathon210

Ok, I installed a 15 day trial of Norton 360 and scanned the drive, I didn't find any viruses.
:-\

Posted 5 years ago

Jacob3212000

Ok so I have pretty much the exact same problem nathon is having and judging from this is the only solution buying a new hard drive? I mean I would rather not.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.