The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

My computer keeps saying low disk space

(32 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by tiago226
  • Latest reply from tiago226
  • Topic Viewed 31520 times

tiago226

i know its because of my d drive and thats the only thing that has low disk space but its just a bunch of back ups incase something happens, how do i delete the older ones and just keep the newer ones, i try to go to the d drive except the recovery folder has a lock on it and it says powered by pc angel, and i right clicked on it and it does not have a way to unlock it. What should i do?

Posted 7 years ago

lesi2

I just looked up PC Angel, and its a disk utility of some type?

Are the notices the windows notices, cause you can turn those off, I forget how... I'm sure the geek will remember

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

You can turn off the regular disk space notice with this registry tweak:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer "NoLowDiskSpaceChecks" = REG_DWORD 1

This might not work if the pc angel program is doing the warning.

Posted 7 years ago

mysticgeek

What version of Windows are you running? Do you have admin rights with your system? I would uninstall PC Angel and use Window's built in disk utilities. If your doing everything correctly you shouldn't need a third party application to manage your disk drive.
I checked on PC Angel it is a disaster recovery imaging backup software. Essentially it looks like it makes a separate partition on your HD and stores images there. You can do that on your own and take backups when you want to...however I would assume you have some type of control panel for PC Angel and can make appropriate changes in there to control when it backs up and how often...

If you want to keep using PC Angel and are comfortable with it I found this thread in their knowledge base that might help you out.

http://www.pcangelle.com/faq_p.....&ID=71

Hope this helps! Keep us up to date!

Posted 7 years ago

tiago226

well its not a popup notice, when i click on the recovery folder this shows on the folder instead of the information, Recovery Partition
"""""Warning!

This area of your hard disk
(or partition) contains files used
for your system recovery.

Do not delete or alter these files.

Any change to this partition could
prevent any recovery later.""""

and above that is the pc angel logo.
so i dont know what i should do

Posted 7 years ago

mysticgeek

Ok... are you low on disk space? You can find out by double clicking "my computer" the right click on the root drive ... which is the drive Windows is installed on. Right click and choose properties.

The reason your getting that message is because that is the partition PC Angel created for backing up your system recovery files.

What version of Windows are you running?

Posted 7 years ago

tiago226

my C drive is good, its my D drive that is filled (low disk space)
i am running on windows vista

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I think the problem is because your PC Angel software is filling up the drive when it does a backup. What you need to do is open that software and adjust the amount of files it is backing up, because that is the root of the problem.

So I guess what I'm saying is that you need to change those settings in PC Angel... there should be an option to delete old backups in there.

Posted 7 years ago

tiago226

i cant find the pc angel software anywhere on the computer

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

You should look in c:\program files\ for it.

Or you could simply uninstall the software entirely through add/remove programs.

Posted 7 years ago

tiago226

it is not in the add/remove programs either, would it be safe to delete that particular folder and just make a new one? by simply right clicking and making a new one?
or would this damage the computer? its titled recovery

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

Why don't you try just renaming the folder to something else first? Then if your computer survives after rebooting, you know it's not necessary, and delete it.

Posted 7 years ago

tiago226

i renamed it and reboot the computer and it looks like its normal... so does that mean its ok to delete? and maybe put a new folder for future backups to be saved in, it was set on make back ups every week, i changed it to monthly

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

That seems reasonable.

Posted 7 years ago

tiago226

ok so apparently that folder was not the problem so i put it back, it was still full even after i deleted it (6.75MB free of 9.68 GB). I don't know what to do!!

Posted 7 years ago

tiago226

do you think this might be a virus?
can they even do that?

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Try using this application to figure out where all the space is gone:

http://windirstat.info/

Posted 7 years ago

tiago226

wow ok that helps and apparently its not a virus, it says its the recycle bin that i guess was backed up i did have a lot of stuff that i eventually did empty it out but now how do i delete that part that is backed up? it doesn't show in my d drive. only on this thing that you just sent me.

Posted 7 years ago

thedudester

It's probably a hidden folder, you should choose the option to show all files and folders in the view menu.

Posted 7 years ago

tiago226

that isnt an option when i click view.

this is what i see when i do the thing that i downloaded
http://img.photobucket.com/alb.....oblems.jpg

is it safe to delete the things that are taking up space?

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.