The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

My computer is shutting down / freezing a lot

(12 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Orchid
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 648 times

Orchid

Hi, I have this new laptop, Sony Vaio, approx 2 months old. It was working fine, being new and all, then it started to freeze up, to a few times here and there, to totally unable to move the cursor or even to do the ctrl+alt+del. I would turn it off, restart, the start light would come on, but only the fan is running... the hard drive would sort of kick in, the screen would stay black, then the computer would shut off. It became worst as the weeks went by. ran the spyware "Malwarebytes", CCleaner, noting found. Finally last weekend, it wouldn't start properly, I spend more times shutting it off then using it. So I finally got it to run, did my back up of my files, rebooted the system from scratch. I did all the updates/drivers for the PC and for Window 7. Was working fine...thought that I finally somehow manage to fix it. Yesterday decided to bring back the back-up documents that I needed to work with... and the nightmare started again. Now if I leave it on even for a short period inactive, it freeze. The fan seems to be on constant. I won't respond to ctrl+alt+del, i have to do a hard re-start and it takes me a few tries in order to get it going again. Anyone has any idea what the problem is? Thanks

Posted 3 years ago

Slembroccoli
Slembroccoli

I think I had a similar problem on a Dell.

What I try NOT to do is close the lid of the computer, only push it down A LITTLE so the light doesn't light up the entire room.

Hope i helped,

/Slembroc

Posted 3 years ago

Orchid

It freeze the screen when I am not active on the laptop. I do travel a lot, so I have to close/store and restart the laptop. I would really like to have a solutions as this is driving me insane. Thanks

Posted 3 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

I suspect the HDD might be failing (but its a new laptop, why so?)

The best idea would be to ask Sony to repair (better to replace) the machine...

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

you said : "approx 2 months old" !!!

pretty sure its still covered - take it back.
no reason to be dealing with it

on a side note though, you also said : "Was working fine...Yesterday decided to bring back the back-up documents that I needed to work with... and the nightmare started again"

did you even run any scans at all for viruses / malware, when the problems first started?

edit:
in between posts Hatty! ...
thinking along the same lines - but im too long winded LOL!!!

Posted 3 years ago

Orchid

Thanks for the replies. Yes did all the scans for viruses/malwares... came out with nothing. I guess there is no easy fix beside sending it back to Sony.

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

good move.
less head-ache for you too : )

Posted 3 years ago

Ted16
Ted16

I'm no expert but had a similar problem caused by my anti virus program AVG took it off and put Avast on at that time and problem was resolved. Don't ask me why but it is just a thought. Now use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Ted

Posted 3 years ago

marks100
marks100

try a system restore first to last good configuration,

mark.

Posted 3 years ago

Orchid

Hi guys, thanks for the ideas.... not that they are not good but I have been troubleshooting this baby prior to posting the problems on this site.... already did the last good configuration, system recovery, system restore and all that, plus updates all the patches for Sony and Windows, still it is happening... not as often, mind you, but still freezing once and awhile. The fan just start turning for no reason, not because I have the computer on my lap, or blanket, etc.. it has plenty of space/vent area on a large table. I have Avast security from the beginning so the program isn't a problem that I can see. The computer is barely 2 months old, so I don't have that much crap on it yet.... so I figure my last hope would be to try this forum and see what the Geek guys can come up with... if you guys can't find a solutions, then I may as well send it back and be without a computer for 6-8 weeks or so... *(^%! Thanks

Posted 3 years ago

Ted16
Ted16

Orchid it will cost you nothing to quickly take off Avast just in case it is the problem. Anti virus programs can cause all sorts of problems and the fault sounds very like the problem I had.

Ted

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Couple of thoughts, do you remember when this started?
Did you load any software during that time period that might be causing this problem.
"Was working fine...Yesterday decided to bring back the back-up documents that I needed to work with... and the nightmare started again"
What did you bring back in?
Could it be related to some application that you run to access your documents?

EDIT: Maybe you can work out a deal with Sony where they send you a replacement then you send them your faulty one back. Some companies require a credit card in case you don't send the old one back. I have done this with several times over the years for warranty items that I could not wait the normal turn around time.

g-x

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.