SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

My Computer is Freezing at shutdown screen, and wont turn off.

(19 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by alihamoud
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 10007 times

alihamoud
alihamoud

When i try to shutdown my computer , it stops or just freezes at ' Your computer is shutting down ' . So then i would have to shut down manually from the button . This happens when even i try to restart it , the same thing happens , it freezes at ' Your computer is shutting down ' and then wont shut down .

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

alihamoud,
Welcome to The HTG Forums.

There could many reasons.
I'm going to (guess) first you have a "hung process or app" in simple terms.
Are you running Zone Alarm or maybe AVG ??

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦ :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Rick is right - you are in a loop and the security programs would be the first suspect. But it can be anything else too. Power it down by holding down the power button, then restart and keep tapping F8. That gets you into safe mode > start into Safe Mode (navigate with the "down key" and hit ENTER). From there (after you get the strange looking desktop) RESTART as you would do normally.

Posted 5 years ago

alihamoud
alihamoud

Rick and whs ..
First of all , the things started happening when i downloaded the latest upgrades ... not when i got SP3 , But after it in a While , so im sure not from this. Then couple a weeks i downloaded the upgrades including the new desktop search , so at tht time my pc was like SHIT . i tried billions of defrags and clean ups like : Auslogics bootspeed , Registry Booster , CCleaner , and Speed up utilities . and also my defragmenter and disk cleaner from windows . So , guyz i think it's from the update from downloading new frameworks and desktop search , though i uninstalled desktop search. anyway , i had zone alram , but just to let u know it's not from it and i have listed why ! only like 1 weeks or 2 ago this started . And my anti virus is Kaspersky just for information . So im 100% it's something different , please try to help me out .
REMEMBER it was perfect just until the upgrade.
Thank You.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

For one, I would not go crazy with all these cleaners and defragmenters. They are probably no help in this case. Especially touching the registry may be highly counterproductive. Now, since you suspect those updates to be the cause, I think it would be easiest if you you backed those out. Maybe one by one so that you can spot the culprit. And for getting back into your system, use the procedure I described earlier.
Btw: I am also a Kaspersky fan. But it is not perfect. I had to throw it out of one of my systems because it gave me all kinds of problems. Runs good on others though.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

alihamoud,

The wrong thing to do when one is having machine problems is to load in speed up programs like Boot Speed, Registry Booster, etc.
I do not recommend downloading the optional program Desktop Search.

Even when you uninstall it, it leaves items in the Registry as do other uninstalls.

Can you post a picture of your msconfig file startup programs ??

Do you have an original genuine XP CD ??

Have you ever done a Complete Clean Install from scratch ??

Post Back.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

alihamoud
alihamoud

well... i dunno wat to say im confused any way i got not much in start ups , just kaspersky and nvidia and ctfmon.exe , or i think i unticked that . anyway Sorry i dont have any CD , and anyway i dont even have genuine i hacked it , i mean i got that thing the wgatry thing sign , u know !! that genuine sign .. so my friend helped me out with that .. so i could download the updates.. REMEMBER i dont have it signed =( . So just like i do but not Sign or certificated watever. So...

And man is there is any other program like to check for my issues .. OMG im lost dont know wat to say... im really sad for wat is happening to me .
thank you and please stay in touch with me.
:(

Posted 5 years ago

alihamoud
alihamoud

ANYWAY ,, i think these might help here :

System :
microsoft windows Xp
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Registered to : Admin

Computer:
Intel (R)

Pentuim (R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz

2.99 GHz , 512 MB of RAM .

Though im not convinced with this idea.. just from this SICK !!! UPDATE !!! :( :(

PLEASE HELP ME OUT GUYZ

Thank You.

Posted 5 years ago

alihamoud
alihamoud

FOR YOUR INFORMATION :

IT's Fine in internet and working .. EXCEPT for starting up .. like it's kinda good... BUT SHUTDOWN .. IS HELL !!! Because it does not turn Off .... So.. i could say this is the most problem ...

Though i added nothing important .. just angry because of it .. Sorry .. and really
thankyou .

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Alihamoud, please re-read the forum rules:

* No illegal content such as warez or cracks.
* Avoid inappropriate language.

We can't help you with a hacked, unlicensed install of Windows. That may even be the cause of the problem.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

alihamoud,

Much posted.
Agree with ScottW.
Obliviously you do a Dis-Service to Yourself by (NOT) running a Genuine Copy MS XP.
Shot-Gun approach (UNcheck everything in msconfig startup and enable one item at time until you find program which is hanging shutdown.

Tips:
CMD Prompt>>shutdown -F -S

http://www.microsoft.com/downl.....laylang=en
http://oreilly.com/pub/h/1063
(BIG TIP)
Purchase a Genuine Copy of O/S and Clean Install Machine from Scratch.
Good Luck.
Kindest Regards and Moving On,

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Green eggs and ham!

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@LH,
Bad way to start off in computing hobby or business.

Posted 5 years ago

alihamoud
alihamoud

TO EVERYONE ... and especially Rick .. u know the problem .. and it's not from this xp geniune thing . So as i said this started from the update of desktop search and etc.. like frameworks 3.0 and 3.5 . Well.. i guess i will be dead because there is no solution . =[

Posted 5 years ago

alihamoud
alihamoud

anyway.. Rick i got the UPHClean.. i downloaded it then i dunno wat to do when i click on uphclean.exe only a black box looks like cmd box but empty and then it closes ?? :S

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

alihamoud,
I appreciate your Confidence HOWEVER I DO NOT KNOW the the answer to your problem.
FACTS:
1. Optional Programs - Frame work 3.0 and 3.5 are not recommended for XP.
2. Optional Program - Desktop Search has caused problems in some machine configurations.
3. Running Kaspersky in Live Mode may cause problems in some machine configurations.
4. UN-installing Programs does leave Registry entries UN-repaired behind in the Registry.
5. Last MS Update on Tuesday had NO problems in it that I am aware of.
6. Your Machine has only 500 MB of RAM Memory which is a problem.
7. Running a "Cracked" copy of Windows (DOES) cause unforeseen problems. ( FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE )
8. Running a "Cracked" copy of Windows gives you (NO) way to do a Clean Install from Scratch and repair your machine.
9. I have (NO) love for MS but advise as to how to keep machines in good working order.
10. My Best Advice Still Stands:
Purchase a Genuine Copy of MS O/S and Clean Install Machine from Scratch (OR) Install and Run FREE Linux O/S.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

alihamoud,
UPClean is an old MS FIX that should be downloaded and and installed.
It hooks into Kernel and when you shut down machine, it helps release Profile info which sometimes aids in shutting down a machine. Once installed, it runs automatically as a service there after. You need only to install it once and then delete the file.
(THIS IS A VERY SIMPLIFIED EXPLANATION FOR OP).

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

alihamoud
alihamoud

Anyone here.. please i need help in this question :

when i turn on my pc i get the user account thing which i need to press it to log in.. though i dont have a password...

if anyone knows how i can remove it , please inform me .

Thank you.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

@Mod, I suggest to close this post.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!