The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

"MY COMPUTER" in XP PRO

(3 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jaftd
  • Latest reply from LinuxIsBest
  • Topic Viewed 982 times

jaftd

When clicking on "MY COMPUTER" in XP PRO, results in a very long search time to find my drives. Ran adware, virus scans and found nothing. Opened TOOLS in WINDOWS EXPLORER and unchecked "Automatically find files and folders" to solve problem but no better results.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Try this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....indows-xp/

Posted 6 years ago

LinuxIsBest

"When clicking on "MY COMPUTER" in XP PRO, results in a very long search time to find my drives. Ran adware, virus scans and found nothing. Opened TOOLS in WINDOWS EXPLORER and unchecked "Automatically find files and folders" to solve problem but no better results."

Did you make the change while logged in with Administrator privileges? Did you uncheck the box, then remember to click the "Apply" button BEFORE you closed the window? Have you checked to be sure that the "Automatically search for network folders and printers" box is STILL unchecked?

Go through those steps again; open Windows Explorer from an admin-level account, remember to click on the "Apply" button, followed by the "OK" button, then reboot the system and make sure the changes took effect. If not, you might have some program running in the background, preventing changes to the Registry; check the Task Manager CAREFULLY to see if any processes are loaded that would block you from making changes to the system configuration. I don't use any programs that could cause that problem on my Windoze boxes, so if you need more help with this, Google the processes you're unsure about, and you'll probably find the answer fairly quickly.

Keep us "posted" on your progress...

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.