The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

My Computer Does Not Recognize my Second Hard Drive

(23 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by stew987
  • Latest reply from stew987
  • Topic Viewed 6751 times

stew987

I installed a second hard drive in my Dell Inspiron 1721. I got it working a couple days ago and then i put 60 GB of info on it. The next day my computer was running really slow so i did a system roll back but i made sure that the roll back was to a point after i got the hard drive working. Now the computer does not recognize the drive, it does not even show up in the device manager but it shows up in the BIOS that it is there. How can i get it back without losing the information that is on it?

Posted 5 years ago

DataKnight

Are you sure the cables are seated correctly?
Is it a brand new drive?
Have you got an external drive enclosure you can put it in and try it there?
Have you installed any other drives?

Posted 5 years ago

stew987

the cables are in correctly, it is a new drive that i had working once, i don't have an external enclosure.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

That sounds odd, give this a try. Shut down your pc then disconnect the drive. Restart the pc, putz around for a minute or two, then shut down again. Reconnect the drive and power back up. With a small bit of luck, it will rediscover the new hardware, get all the drivers loaded up, and life will be grand once again. Then again, maybe not ;-)

Posted 5 years ago

stew987

that did not work

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

stew987, hello. Does the drive show up in Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc)? I don't know why a system restore would cause such a problem, but it sounds like there could be a problem with the Master Boot Record or the File Table. You might run a diagnostic from the drive's manufacturer first, but to get your data back you will need a tool that recovers from MBR or file system corruption. Try TestDisk first, because it's freeware. Here is a recommendation for it:
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....post-76570

If that doesn't work, many folks have had good results using the Recovery Expert in Acronis Disk Director, which is *not* a freeware tool. See the following post for an example of a user success with Acronis:
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....post-54857

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Did you format the drive in NTFS?

Posted 5 years ago

wkedklwnz

I had a similar problem where my second hdd would work for a while, then seem to disconnect on its own. It would show in bios as well after a reboot. Vista and XP would not recognize it sometimes. It was an ide hdd, and what I had to do was change the ide cable. It seemed to go bad after a few months of use. Once I put in the new cable, haven't had a problem since. Seems like it should work with it being seen in bios, but this did work for me.
What OS are you running? You may have to format the drive with something like killdisk for Windows (if running) to recognize it. Sorry cant be of more help. Before anything I would try new cables either ide or sata depending on drive.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I see that the Inspiron 1721 is a laptop. From the service manual, it looks to me like the hard drives go into one of two drive bays and are held in with screws:
http://support.dell.com/suppor.....#wp1180014

It's highly unlikely that there is a problem with cabling or a loose connector in this setup, since the drive was working before.

Posted 5 years ago

stew987

I tried the test disk program and it only recognized the original hard drive that came with the computer. I don't know this for sure but i assume this to be true because only one hard drive came up in the search. Just as an F.Y.I. both of my hard drives are Seagate 250 GB SATA hard drives.

Posted 5 years ago

stew987

i contacted seagate and they told me to try to use the hard drive in an external enclosure, but i am not sure that it will make a difference plus i want the drive to be internal not external.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

stew987, you could try the Seagate SeaTools diagnostic test and see if that detects the second drive. If the drive can be seen, but there is an error, SeaTools will give an error code that you can use to return it:
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-...../seatools/

Another experiment that you could try is to remove the primary drive, and move the second drive into the first drive bay. If it can only be detected in that bay, it suggests a problem with the laptop in the second drive bay, possibly the connector.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

stew987,
This post may be of no help but happen to run across this page.
Are you using the Dell special connector (interposer) with the HD ??
http://newmodeus.com/shop/inde.....;chapter=0
Since I don't own a Laptop, have no idea what the connector is or does.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

stew987

the Seatools test only returned one hard drive, and i know the connector is working cause the hard drive shows up in the BIOS.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Did you run the SeaTools for Windows under Vista, or boot from a CD of SeaTools for DOS? Since the BIOS can see the drive and Windows can't, you should boot from CD to run SeaTools.

I'm having a hard time imagining a situation in which BIOS could read the drive, but a bootable CD of SeaTools could not. If the BIOS can run a device query, SeaTools should be able to as well.

Posted 5 years ago

stew987

i used SeaTools for windows under Vista and i will try the one for DOS

Posted 5 years ago

stew987

SeaTools for DOS does not work with Vista, at least that is how i interpreted the page.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

The BIOS can still see the drive, so it is not completely dead. However, since Vista can't see it, we don't know where the problem is occurring. Maybe the drive has a problem that prevents Vista from using it, so a full run of SeaTools long test will be informative.

Download the CD Image file, a .iso, from the following link and burn it to a CD. Then boot off of that CD and it will run SeaTools. Start by running the Short Test on the 2nd drive and, if there are no errors, the Long Test.
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-.....eatooldreg

Posted 5 years ago

stew987

whenever i download the program it wants to open with my clone drive software and then when it downloads and i try to open it it just gives me the folder to view files and that is all that i can do. an actual program does not come up at all.

Posted 5 years ago

stew987

disregard that last post, i figured it out i think

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.