SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

my cd/dvd drive will not play a cd but will a dvd.

(21 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Carolynpritts
  • Latest reply from Bartman
  • Topic Viewed 9917 times

Carolynpritts

My cd/dvd drive stopped playing cd's but will still play a dvd. so i thought i would just reinstall windows {stupid mistake} now it still does not work and i lost all my extra's that came with my system. Is there anyway to do a system restore using windows.old files and what could be wrong with my cd drive? i just bought this computer a month ago from walmart and they will not let me return it so i am gonna have to work it out on my own so any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Why do you post the same problem twice?

Posted 6 years ago

Santo
Santo

When a drive can read a DVD but not a CD.. it can be a hardware issue. Did you check with all the CD's you have. I see that you have posted another post regarding the same issue. Since the computer is a month old get the drive replaced.

Let us know the make of your computer.

Posted 6 years ago

Carolynpritts

it is a Emachine model # W5243, Sorry about posting the same thing twice. for some reason my computer froze and i did not see where the first post went through so i posted again.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

OK, for Emachines you can reinstall your system with this procedure:
1. Copy all your own files and folders (you said you do not have many) to an external storage (Disc, USB stick even SD card - 1 GByte capacity should be ample - even 512 MB)
2. Shut the PC off
3. Turn the PC back on and keep hitting the F8 key repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Option Screen appears
4. Click "Repair Your Computer" - if the clicker does not work use the up and down arrows to maneuver to it and then press ENTER
5. Next you have to pick your country (I assume US) and click OK
6. On the "System Recovery Options Screen" click "Restore Application" (last option)
7. Follow the on-screen instructions
8. When prompted, click on "Full Factory Recovery"
9. Click "Next"
10. Click "Yes"
11. Go and have a cup of coffee - don't touch anything - for a while it seems like nothing is happening
12. After many minutes, recovery will complete and you click "Finish"
Now you have to get all your drivers back, AOL and all the others, make all the setups for the internet etc. Last time I have done it, it was a several hour job - and I had done it before. But this is the only way to set it back to how it was in the box. Have fun .
PS. I suggest you "Snip" and print those instructions so that you have them handy

Posted 6 years ago

Carolynpritts

there is no repair your computer there.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Did you get to the "advanced boot option" screen? Maybe they changed it, but this used to be the Gateway/Emachines procedure.

Posted 6 years ago

Carolynpritts

yes that is what came up after tapping F8 but there was nothing about repair computer. just things like start in safe mode, start at last point where there were no probles (not exact words but same diffrence) and things like that.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

OK, let's check whether you have not damaged your recovery partition with your earlier maneuvers. Go to Start > Computer and double click on D: . You should see one, and only one folder called Recovery or Emachines or something like that. Also tell me the total size of D: and the amount of free space. We'll take it from there.
Just for info: 2 months ago we reinstalled another Emachines with the exact same procedure (in fact I copied it from there) - and it worked perfectly. See the end of the first page here: http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=22

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I think starting with Vista Microsoft made the recovery partition option a part of the Windows Boot Loader. So a reinstall of Windows would likely wipe out the custom recovery boot option.
There maybe a way to correct it with the bcdedit command line utility but I'm not sure how you would do so.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I just checked on my Gateway. The "Repair Your Computer" is there. In fact it is the first option and it is highlighted when the Advanced Boot Option screen appears. Maybe that's why you overlooked it.
@jd, the above system was reinstalled twice with a recovery disk. Everything is there. Apparently the boot option was not wiped out.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@whs: Right as the recovery disc would add the correct repair option to the boot menu. I think reinstalling with a Windows Vista install disc might not do so. The fact that the original poster said the extra programs were not installed means a recovery disc was probably not used.

@Carolynpritts: Just to check what did the disc you used to reinstall say as what it was? Like Windows Vista or Gateway/emachines recovery disc.
Also now when you boot the computer do you see two "Microsoft Windows Vista" options or do options only appear when you press F8?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

jd, you are very right if you think of an original MS installation disk. That does not even install anything in the recovery partition. But as an Emachines customer I assume she has something OEMish. The recovery disks installs a lot of extra programs: Adobe, games, AOL, McAfee or Norton trial, Works, Office 2007 trial etc. - the whole 9 yards. But let's see what the poster tells us. First thing I'd like to know, whether she has a functioning recovery partition. That's why I asked the questions above.

Posted 6 years ago

Carolynpritts

o.k guys, i got everything back to the way it was when i purchased it by contacting customer support and they told me how to get my system restore back. but that still did not help my cd/dvd drive. so what should i do now?

Posted 6 years ago

Carolynpritts

oh by the way i did this by useing command propt and 1.typing in CD i36\apps and then hit enter 2. dir/s emachines*. msi enter 3. cd app? enter 4. "emachines Recovery Center installer.msi" and followed the directions from there. {just incase anyone else loses their recovery like i did

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Carolyn, do I understand that you are back to square 1 - Optical drive not working?

Posted 6 years ago

Carolynpritts

YES! My DVD/cd drive will not play cd's but will a dvd. when a cd is put in the whole computer freezes. i have no idea what to do now. i am what some people call computer dumb. so can you please tell me what a scsi device is?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Here are some explanations of SCSI: It's essentially the interface to your optical drive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI and http://computer.howstuffworks.com/scsi3.htm

But the problem with your CD's mystifies me - especially as the DVD's work ok. Maybe I have an idea later or someone else has seen that before. At least your system has been recovered ok. Next time you attempt to make major surgery, we'll be glad to assist if you ask before you cut the beef.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

That is an odd problem. I saw that exact thing happen with an older Pentium 3 laptop my Dad got from eBay a couple years ago. It would read DVDs but not CDs.
I always assumed the problem was because the computer was old and things just didn't work right.
I never did figure out why that happened with the drive and we have since got a new Dell laptop so it's not a problem now.
It's strange this would happen on a newish desktop.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I would advise you to go back to the manufacturer of your PC (Walmart is for the birds) and request a new Optical drive (since your PC is still under warrenty). Just this month I had my optical drive replaced by HP. Was real easy - took a few weeks before they could get it, but other than that they made no trouble at all. It's real easy to install (on a desktop) as it comes with detailed instructions. If it is a laptop, you may have to send it to them. It's a little trickier to get to the optical drive there. But put your foot down - they will budge.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.